Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Go To Field ($fieldname) ?

This topic is 6080 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way for a script to position the cursor in any field? I'd like it if the error-checking script could place the cursor in the field containing the error. "Go to Field ($fieldname)", if you will....

Thanks,

Chap

Hi Mandu, unfortunately not, however there is a small work around you might try given that in your case the field is guarranteed to be on the layout.

Create a new script called "GoToField[fieldName]"

If[isEmpty(Get(ScriptParameter))]

Show Custom Dialog["Note to developer: Please specify a field to go to via the perform script step"]

Halt Script

End If

Go To Field[Next]

Set Variable[$fieldName ; Get(ActiveFieldName)]

Loop

Exit Loop If[Get(ActiveFieldName) = Get(ScriptParameter) ]

Go To Field[Next]

If[$fieldName = Get(ActiveFieldName)]

Show Custom Dialog["Note to Developer: Field Not Found on Layout"]

Halt Script

End If

End Loop

Then just pass the field you want to get to as a parameter (note that all your fields will have to be in the tab order on your layout). I'm in a rush, so if anyone sees any errors in that script, please point them out to Mandu.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Interesting workaround. I don't quite understand the reason for the "If[$fieldName = Get(ActiveFieldName)]" script step. If it's meant to be an exit condition, I would have expected the test to be for inequality. At any rate, the general idea is clear.

Another alternative would be to apply an object name to the target field. You may then go to this field by using a Go To Object script step. Unlike Go To Field, Go To Object accepts a string literal or variable for the name of the target.

After the Go To Object step, you may use the Set Field script step. If you turn off the "Specify target field" checkbox, the field which gets set will be the current field.

The steps to applying an object name to a field are:

- Go to layout mode

- Select the target field

- Click View > Object Info

- Type a name in the Object Info window

$fieldName is the field the user was in when the loop began. If it returns to that field without having exited the loop, then presumably we're back where we started.

I think "presumably" is a weak point in this script though. You could have the same field on a layout twice.

I think the script would be better off instead with a $counter and ValueCount( FieldNames( Get( FileName); Get( LayoutName) ) )

Oh, I can think of a couple of reasons to have the same field more than once on a layout.

1) A portal.

2) A tab control with editable information on it, but above that is a that same information in view only form (so that it's always visible when users are on other tabs) and you don't want to use merge fields.

3) A search box with a global reporting field that's repeated in several parts of the layout (esp if scrolling is needed). Probably bad design, but it happens.

Of course, coming up with these makes me realize my modification to this technique may not work. A portal's fields only show up once in FieldNames regardless of the number of related records showing. And a non-visible tab's fields show up in FieldNames, but GoToNextField doesn't siwitch tabs.

Might be able to modify Genx's technique to get past the portal problem by using an If statement and a Get(ActiveFieldTableName). But that won't help #2 or #3.

Edited by Guest

Lets try combine a few things and add a few more:

Set Variable[ $fields ; FieldNames( Get( FileName); Get( LayoutName) ) ]

Show Custom Dialog["Note to developer: Please specify a field to go to via the perform script step"]

Halt Script

End If

Go To Field[Next]

Loop

if[ Get(PortalRowNumber) < 2] 

Set Variable[ $i ; value: $i + 1]

End If 

Exit Loop If[ Get(ScriptParameter) = Get(ActiveFieldName) & "||" & Get(PortalRowNumber) or Get(ScriptParameter) = Get(ActiveFieldName)]

Go To Field[Next]

If[ValueCount($fields) = $i]

Halt Script

End If

End Loop 

The above will take a script param as: fieldName "||" PortalRowNumber or just as fieldName

PS Code untested.

Edited by Guest

Yeh, but that's why we've got:

Get ( ActiveFieldTableName )

Set Variable[ $fields ; FieldNames( Get( FileName); Get( LayoutName) ) ]

Halt Script

End If

Go To Field[Next]

Loop

if[ Get(PortalRowNumber) < 2] 

Set Variable[ $i ; value: $i + 1]

End If 

Exit Loop If[ Get(ScriptParameter) = Get(ActiveFieldTableName) & "::" & Get(ActiveFieldName) & "||" & Get(PortalRowNumber) or Get(ScriptParameter) = Get(ActiveFieldTableName) & "::" & Get(ActiveFieldName)]

Go To Field[Next]

If[ValueCount($fields) = $i]

Halt Script

End If

End Loop 

Where the user could specify the desired field name as either: TableName::FieldName or otherwise TableName::FieldName||PortalRowNumber

Edited by Guest

Genx, sorry for the delay...

I name all my table id's simply `id` so if you have an id for the TO which that table is based upon and a related table as well you would have problems.

It looks like you have found a solution to that problem with the get(activefieldtablename) solution... very slick... I'll have to look at it a little more.

This topic is 6080 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.