Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using the separation model for creating "Modules"

This topic is 6116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to create a Database but with the possibilty to extend with more Database "Modules" (more funcionality).

1. Is this possible? (Relations GUI etc.)

2. Would you just make one BIG database or separate?

Regards

Ron

For small and medium sized solutions, a single file is usually easier (or using the Separation Model, a single interface file and however many data files as you want).

With a large complex solution (say over 30 tables), it may make a lot of sense to use a modular approach. For a traditional setup, this means having a single file for each module. In the separation model, this might mean just having multiple data files for the single interface file, or you might have multiple interface files too.

Using modules makes some maintenance tasks easier, like importing data into updated versions of the file, and performing recovery operations. It also helps make the graph more localized, showing only the relevant TOs for that module.

On the other hand, security is likely to be more complicated (if not using external authentication).

EDIT:

If you're using the separation model anyway, then you're already dealing with security in multiple files, and the maintenance tasks won't be a factor in the choice of whether to have one or many interface files. You can have multiple data files without a problem. The only consideration is the graphs. I'd probably stick with a single interface file, and deal with the graphs by using table occurrence groups.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Ender

What I'm trying to achieve is:

Module 1 = CRM

Module 2 = Job Management

Module 3 = Bookkeeping

etc.

How can you get a Solution like this to work together, without errors ("No reference file found" etc.) in the Relationships?

I want FM to automatically check whether the file exists in a particular folder and include it if it does else don’t bring up any error message.

All I need to do really, is to grab info from the CRM or the CRM need to send invoice data to the Accounting Module etc...

Get what I mean? Forgive me, I'm terrible at explaining.

Thanks

Ron

I've never done it, but though about it.

Probably it'd require different sets of interface files and data files. As modules are added the interface files need to be swapped to include the new data files. The user's existing data files can be left in place, to avoid data migration issues.

How can you get a Solution like this to work together, without errors ("No reference file found" etc.) in the Relationships?

It will work together fine if the files are all accessible.

I want FM to automatically check whether the file exists in a particular folder and include it if it does else don’t bring up any error message.

I don't believe this is possible. You pretty much need to have the files in their expected locations for FileMaker to be happy.

This really shouldn't be an issue. Make sure your files are kept together. If the files are on on a client workstation (single-user solution, or in some separation model cases, where the interface is on the client side), put them into a folder and use a shortcut or alias to access them. If the files are hosted, you have greater control and can make sure they are all available.

So where would you put the relations? Data or GUI File?

Relationships that are used for calcs, lookups, and auto-enter stuff would be in the data file(s). Relationships that are used for interface purposes (and scripts within the interface file) would be in the Interface file(s).

Calculations obviously need to go in the GUI or not?

No, keep the calcs in the data tables. The interface files need not have any actual tables.

The only real tables that I usually have in my GUI file are globals table where I store most of my global values, any tables that I use to store temp data, and tables that store system images.

Just my 2 cents.

How can I make Update files without having to swap the data file also? Usually it’s not only the GUI file which need updating. Then I would have to import all records of each table into the new data file.

Does it make sense to make a 3rd level in this case (for relations)?

Ron

This topic is 6116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.