Is there Function for NotEmpty?

This topic is 6090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm a long, long time user, so I feel like I should know this. Hell, I started using FM when it was under the Nashoba Systems label. Anyhow, I use the function IsEmpty all the time, but what if you want to know if a field is NotEmpty? Is this possible? It's probably a totally lame question and I'll end up kicking myself because the answer is so obvious. How the heck can I accomplish this?

Thanks

-JJ

Yeah its probably worth mentioning that not will reverse the result of any expression in general i.e:

1=1 will normally return true (or 1)

not (expression) will return the opposite of whatever our expression evalutes to

not 1=1 is the same as writing: not true

the opposite of true of course is false or 0.

Yeah its probably worth mentioning that not will reverse the result of any expression in general i.e:

1=1 will normally return true (or 1)

not (expression) will return the opposite of whatever our expression evalutes to

not 1=1 is the same as writing: not true

the opposite of true of course is false or 0.

Hi Genx,

Whilst the specific examples you've quoted here do give the results you are stating, the reasons for those results aren't quite what you're suggesting.

For example, if not 1=1 returns 0 (false) for the reason you suggest, then not 2=1 should return true. It doesn't. But not 0=1 does. and not (2=1) does also.

The reason for this has to do with the order of operations ('not' is evaluated first - so it shouldn't be combined with expressions in the way you're suggesting here). It can be used with results - or you can simulate the same effect (result syntax) by controlling the order of evaluation with brackets, but otherwise, not forms part of the expression rather than acting upon it. :wink2:

"Oooooho right, slipped my mind Sorry"

- No seriously - look, the second line says:

not (expression) not not expression.

But meh...

If that question re devcon was addressed to me - I was planning on going, but i got a little to friendly with my bank account and got myself 3 27" wide screens instead, they barely fit on my desk lol!! Maybe i'll be able to justify 6 grand on a one week trip next year.

And if addressed to me, no, I won't be going this year. Two of my collegues are going so I won't be going until NEXT year; tis only fair. Good things are always worth waiting for. Let's see ... that'll be vs. 10? WOW. :shocked:

This topic is 6090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.