Icons in global fields

Rafita

This topic is 6087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

I would like to hear advices or recommendations about using global fields for the icons of a solution, instead of just pasting them in each layout. The database is intended also to be share in a network.

The idea is to change an icon in only one place, not in all around the database, and also to keep it in good size.

Tks.

Well its a good idea in general - only problem is at least in my attempts to utilize it, the globals will "flash" when moving from record to record - maybe they've fixed it in 9 though, haven't tried.

Not to nitpick, but the graphics aren't stored in the globals, they are stored in container fields, typically in a Prefs or Dev table. Then, in an Open script you either use Set Field to populate the globals, or define the globals as calcs that equal the container field.

If the table that stores the graphics has all its records deleted, (saving as a clone would do it), then you're in trouble. So, as a backup, I paste the graphic directly on the layout next to the field that stores it.

Such icons are also lost when the file is saved as a clone. Such a file would require some "sysadmin" work to rebuild the icons before it could be used again.

Vaughan, what do you mean "such icons" are lost when saving as a clone. I was talking about pasting graphics as layout objects, not in fields. Then, if they were lost by a record delete, someone can copy them from the layout and put them back in the preference table so that they can be set to globals again.

In fact, we usually build "Reset To Factory" scripts in our systems, that keep all the records we want populated at launch, and discard all others that were created during testing.

If they were lost by a record delete, someone can copy them from the layout and put them back in the preference table so that they can be set to globals again.

The quality of most images greatly deteriorates when you do that...

"... someone can copy them from the layout and put them back in the preference table so that they can be set to globals again."

That's exactly waht I mean: "somebody" with developer knoweldge of the system has to do it. A client or user just can't make a clone of the file, open it and expect it to work.

"In fact, we usually build "Reset To Factory" scripts in our systems..."

Me too, but these can't copy icons from layouts.

I occasionally store icons in fields, but avoid it bacause it creates a maintenance problem.

I don't know now if it's worth or not using global fields for navigation buttons, and if it's better to limit oneself to FM layout tools.

Thank you.

Barbara: Sorry for the use of CostaRican language used when you feel greatful with someone.

No problems, Rafita. As they say in NY, "we're cool." I don't know if there's a difference in performance btw using .png or fm-created graphics. I think that there used to be issues with the speed that they loaded from the server (and whether they were requested repeatedly from the server).

Vaughan: Yes, developer access necessary to go to the developer layout and paste the graphics back into the container fields. But this is hardly ever needed.

"Reset to Factory" is used during and after testing. I don't copy the icons from the layout, the reset script doesn't delete records in the pref table. I also have tables for value lists, activity types, etc. that I don't want cleared. I don't use Save As Clone very often.

It's a matter of opinion, but I like nav graphics in globals, because they are everywhere in the system and can be changed in one place. In fact, I find it less of a maintenance problem. Try changing the GTRR nav graphic in all portals when it's not a global graphic!

I am curious about the graphic deterioration that you mentioned, Genx. What have you seen? Is it specific to certain formats?

This topic is 6087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.