Go to Portal row A-Z button.

Jon Crain

This topic is 6199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a portal list of over 4,000 records and I would like to put in the ability to jump to the beginning of a letter with a script. Is there a semi-easy way to do this. I can think of a way by sorting the records counting how many before a letter and how many after a letter and then subtracting and then going to the portal row number from a calc. But this would mean a lot of scripts and possibly a slow script.

jon

Check out this solution here .

I ended up using a popup list and script (because we were windows and I could). But you can use A-Z buttons as well; just use script parameter with the letter and reference Get ( ScriptParameter ) within the script.

Many times a FILTER will work well; it just depends upon what your Users want. In this particular case, they wanted quick scroll ability, being able to then scroll up or down from their jump point. They were quite pleased with the functionality it provided. :wink2:

LaRetta

I was referring to Comment's file in the link.

BTW, his file will not open in vs. 9. It says the file is damaged. I believe this is because vs. 9 is much tighter on checking for corruption. It will open in vs. 8.5 however.

The process is VERY easy to implement.

UPDATE: It was enlightening to see the difference between 8.5 and 9 - on checking for file corruption. I think this is a pretty clear example indeed ...

Edited by Guest

I certainly remembered this template of Michaels, but couldn't track it down, so I tried to memorize the gist of it. This is what my byzantine brain came up with ...it's in no way any more clever than the original approach, but there might be benefits with it, suiting this purpose better??

--sd

test.zip

Now this is fun too!

I like it, Soren, but I wonder what the speed difference would be (if there were 5,000 records, for example). I would think your method would be slower (more evaluations required, no?) but that is only a guess. Nevertheless, it will be fun (for me) to explore. :smile2:

I'm unsure why you think it would be more suitable in this instance. It is (other than the calculation), really identical in concept and implementation (requiring the same structure even). Script could be attached to A-Z buttons, or even using Custom Dialog to ask for the letter instead of a popup. In Windows, I have script fire when User selects from popup (no need for button at all). But still ... the basic concept is the same.

Fun stuff indeed!

LaRetta

really identical in concept and implementation (requiring the same structure even)

I know that Lecates have chased all (:)) the gremlings away from the non equijoins when we upgraded from 7 to 8, but then is there this bugginess with 9's different attitude to empty fields as link values. Lookup next higher have been there as long as I can remember wich is fm2.1... He might have accustomed with it's behaviours and artifact long time ago.

When Comment uses Count( is it probably an excellent balanced choise, since there always is a price to pay when portalizing huge amounts of data with a scrollbar shown, so the trick as such will always urge to a moderation in utilization ...this solution will never ever encompass all citicents in one of worlds metropoles.

--sd

This topic is 6199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.