overwriting & trashing the runtime application folder

tomp

This topic is 5973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The application component of a runtime solution apparently has some high-level protection that prevents it from being overwritten during a copy or install operation.

When deploying new releases of my software, I want to be able to replace the current application file on the users computer to assure they have the latest update of FM as well as the latest database structure/scripts/layouts etc. When copying the new application folder over the old one in a MAC environment, an error occurs preventing the copy from completing. The message "The operation cannot be completed because the item 'FMStrs.dls islocked'" is displayed. (This also occurs when trying to empty trash containing the application folder, but holding down the 'option' key when emptying trash solves that part of the problem)

How can I overcome the 'locked' issue when deploying a new copy of the application folder at a users site?

Unlock 'FMStrs.dls'.

I have it unlocked in the base-file:

MacHD/Applications/FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced/FMI Runtime Resources/Internal Runtime Libraries/Runtime.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FMStrs.dls

(and any other language folder), so that my runtimes don't give this problems.

This has until now never caused any problem.

Edited by Guest

When I use the finder and open the 'Internal Runtime Libraries', I find a file name 'Runtime' which is an application, but when I try to open it (double click) to get to the next directory level, it tries to run.

Any tips on how to get inside 'Runtime' to find FMStrs.dls?

Thanks

Right click (or Ctrl-click) the file 'Runtime' and choose 'Show Package Contents'.

Be careful what you do there. Maybe you should first look for some documentation about Mac OS X applications and the way they're built.

Edited by Guest
typo

Thanks.

Unlocking the file does permit overwriting/trashing.

I unlocked the file in the FM folder in 'applications' thinking that it would remain unocked when a runtime solution is created, but each time the runtime solution is built, the file occurs in the 'locked' state in the runtime. So it appears I have to remember to unlock it each time a new runtime solution is created.

Is that correct?

That is where I have unlocked it, and it still insists on re-locking it in the runtime when the runtime is created.

After the runtime creation, it is re-locked in

:Contents:Resources:English.lproj:FMStrs.dls

but remains unlocked in the 'Internal Runtime Libraries' folder in the FileMaker Pro Advanced application folder.

• 4 months later...

This topic is 5973 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.