Server Maintenance This Week. ×

New to Filemaker

This topic is 6054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to filemaker (9) but very experienced in MS Access and have a number of questions.

I would like to develop in a Windows Vista environment and transfer this to a Mac...? possible...downsides?

What functionality does the advanced version of FM give?

What is a good book for FM 9?

The best Filemaker book (IMHO) is Special Edition: Using Filemaker 8. While not yet updated for version 9, all of the info in the book applies, just missing info about some new features.

Cross-platform development is fairly effortless, save some color matching and font issues. Most functions and script steps work exactly the same on both platforms. You do have to watch out if you're using any plugins to make sure there is a mac version. And if you're integrating with any external scripts (ie. vbscript) you will have to rewrite those scripts using some other language on the mac. (like shell scripts, Perl, ruby, etc.)

The advanced version of FM gives you access to:

1. Custom menu creation

2. Custom function creation

3. Script Debugger and Data Viewer

4. Database Design Report

5. External plugin API

6. Whatever I missed

Hi Eric, and Welcome to the Forum.

There are several on this list that have made the trek from Access to Filemaker, or have just added FileMaker to their toolbox. I think most have found it a good move, and found FileMaker a good addition. However, a few did seemed to have made this move against their own free, and you may run across their post if you do a search for Access by their occasional "Access didn't do it this way" comments.

FileMaker does have a reputation for being easy to learn and use, however it does have a learning curve, and it is getting steeper with each release. You are wise in Soliciting recommendations for a good book. Take a look at the Resource Topic Area, there are some other good books that have been recommended by other Forum Members, along with a few sources of training videos.

HTH

Lee

• Newbies

Thanks for your response. I have thought that a useful book would be "Filemaker Pro for Access users". Access is certainly my starting point for dealing with FM but clearly FM does a lot fo thing differently...no queries ( the backbone of Access) for example...I guess scripts take their place.

In place of queries, there are a couple of ways to specify a search in Filemaker.

One is using Find Mode and specifying one or more find requests via a form. This can be scripted using the Perform Find script step or in a script that enters find mode and places values into the form, mimicking user actions.

Another way to perform a search is via relationships. Relationships can be used together with search(global) fields to specify which records will appear in a portal (subform) The Go To Related Record script step can also be used within a script to specify a found set using relationships.

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought that a useful book would be "Filemaker Pro for Access users". Access is certainly my starting point for dealing with FM but clearly FM does a lot fo thing differently...no queries

Is there really such a book "Filemaker Pro for Access users" or are you being factious? If so where do you get it? I too, am new to FM I converted at gun point two weeks ago and have learned a lot, but still have a long way to go. I used to be a wiz in Access and now feel like I am driving a push cart with a battery backup. I am open to any help I can get thanks

The Tramp

The Special Edition book mentioned in a previous post is very good, and Barnes & Noble typically has several FileMaker books on the shelf that you can browse for the content that will be the best for your intro. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find Access mentioned in any of them. Nor do I find Filemaker mentioned in my recently purchased Access 2007 Inside Out book. :B They are just too dissimilar.

But you can always post specific problems or questions here, and someone will be glad to help you.

James

This topic is 6054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.