Find empty records

z178

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am having a similar problem. I use the "=" symbol in a field to try to find records wherein that field is blank

My problem is trying to find records (people ) who do NOT have anyone related to them (from a second related table). I have 400 people in the main or parent table. Some of them do not have any family members in the second, related table.

But I cannot get FMP 9 FIND to work directly to identify which records have no related records.

I have a layout with where each person in Table 1 is shown in single record. There is a portal showing first name, last name and team number of people from the related records ( in Table 2).

I use the FIND mode and put the "=" symbol for blank field in the name fields in the portal.

FMP tells me there are no records matching my query.

But I know there are. IF scroll manually through all 400 records I find a few wherein the portal displaying the related records is blank..

Why isn't using the FIND blank records command working ?

I have re indexed the fields in question but that did not help.

Why isn't using the FIND blank records command working ?

It is working, just not the way you think. It is searching for those parent records that DO have at least one child record with an empty name field.

What you want to do is go to a layout of the child table, show all records, go to related record (from parent, match found set) and show omitted.

This topic is 6144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.