Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Finding parent records with children

fmsavey

This topic is 6212 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a solution, running on FMS, with a relationship that looks like this...

table 1::emp_id = table 2::emp_id

table 1::global_thru_date = table 2::thru_date

I have a calculation field in table 1 that is defined as

table 1::count = count ( table 2::emp_id )

It tells me the number of records in the child table for each parent record. As expected the count displays the correct number of records when I change the global_thru_date field. If I perform a find using the field count where count > 0 filemaker will find parent records that do not have any child records. But not all childless parent records. This works as expected when not running on the server. Any ideas anyone.

Edited by Guest

Your count calc uses the relationship that limits the children to those that have the same thru date as global_thru_date.

You may want two relationships from Table 1 to Table2. One that includes the filter g_thru_date and one that sees all the children.

count.zip

That is exactly what I am after. I want to find the parent records when the thru dates match the children. But that is not what I get. It also finds parent records that do not have matching thru dates. Again, this behavior only occurs when running on the server. Globally defined fields are local to the client, right? That is, each user connected to the server can have a different value in a globally defined field at the same time, correct?

In this case it is the last day of the month and only the last day in a month. The child records hold statistical information that occured through the end of the month.

This topic is 6212 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.