This topic is 6059 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My problem is: I am trying to learn RM. I have FM 9 loaded on my machine WinXP. I have FM 8.5 or 9 I don’t know which on the server. When you open FM and go to “File” it lists “Open Remote” where is a “Remote” File saved, and can it be copied to my “C” drive. I am assuming “Remote” are the shared files. If not what is it?

I’ve noticed I can save any new Database I create to my “C” drive but I can’t seem t find out how to save to “C” a Database I loaded from “Remote” and How do I save to “Remote”?

Thanks

The Tramp

Remote refers to files that you are hosting using the FileMaker Server application or files that you may be sharing using another FileMaker Client app open on another computer.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, my guess is that you do not have FileMaker Server which is a different application from FileMaker Pro (the desktop application)

You CANNOT SAVE to REMOTE. Equally so you cannot save a remote file to the local machine.

Remote is a hosted (or served) instance of the database(s) which can be offered by either FileMaker Pro (client) or FileMaker Server.

We have FM Server on the server and FM Pro. on each machine (14 total)

I guess the only way I can get info from the shared databases is to export to another database and save it where I want to. What is the operation of FM Server if you can't operate FM from a computer on the network with out having FM on each machine, Or is my proble the purpose of FM server?

The Tramp

So how do you create a hosted of served file? And, why can't you reverse or unhost a file? Pleas forgive me for asking stupid questions I have no history with this software.

The Tramp

You CANNOT SAVE to REMOTE. Equally so you cannot save a remote file to the local machine.

Remote is a hosted (or served) instance of the database(s) which can be offered by either FileMaker Pro (client) or FileMaker Server.

You are asking questions relating to the most basic of FM server operations. At the risk of sounding abrupt... I highly recommend that you locate the manuals and other documentation and spend some quality time walking through it. If you do not have hard copy of the manuals, you can find PDF docs in the directory containing the FileMaker server app.

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to waste anyone's time but you hit the nail on the head. I have no documentation and the software we have is downloaded. I don't even have a box to read. I plan to go to the book store this weekend. The closest one being two hours away. This is my only source of information in a pinch.

Thanks

The Tramp

WE keep out important database files on our server fm9 and access it through the "open remote" option. I am looking for a process that will give me the ability to load a current copy of that file on a lap top for off site use. Can this be done and if so how?

Thanks

The Tramp

Edited by Guest

Ok, after some research I have learned you can. Maybe not in the format or domain of File Maker but it can be done. On you server or mapped server drive, go to Mapped Dirve… “Z:Program FilesFileMakerFileMakerServerDatadatabases” by copying your database here you can create a hosted database. File Maker will automatically pick up this new database and share it in the remote database folder. Also by going to the same place you can copy these databases to where ever you want to and back up, store by day or what ever you want to do with your copy or remove that database from your shared remote folder.

A couple of things:

Never, NEVER copy files that are hosted (in the Data/Databases folder) while ther are being hosted by FM Server. At the very least the copies will be damaged: at worst the hosted file will be damaged too.

Instead set up FM Server to backup the files, and make a copy of the backup.

"I am looking for a process that will give me the ability to load a current copy of that file on a lap top for off site use."

That's easy.

Getting the "updated" data back into the main database is the difficult part, especially when the data keeps changing.

The whole POINT of FM Server is to avoid all of this off-line file stuff.

Lert people have their own copy if necessary, but make the conditiom that it's not to be modified. Edits go into the main system.

This topic is 6059 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.