Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

The Database Server is not available

Netforest

This topic is 6140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here we go again. Thought this would be an easy upgrade. I am installing the technet version of FMS9 on OS X latest version with all updates on a macmini. Started the admin_console_init_webstart.jnlp and get "The Database Server is not available". I also followed the unistall instructions of fms8 ID#6588 from filemaker knowledge base.

any ideas how to solve this? The post started on this(http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/190592/) didn't seem to help.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Have you checked whether the sample file was being shared?

There were a lot of problems reported when people installed FMS 9 without first un-installing FMS 8. It sounds as though you've done that.

At this stage it might be fastest to wipe the hard disk and start with a fresh OS install.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I am not a server guru, rather I am a beginner.

So I finally decide to get FMS 9. (Never had any other server) I just installed on win 2003 sp2. The server has been completely reinstalled and the hard drives replaced within the last few weeks. Running RAID 5. I am getting "The Database Server is unavailable."

What do I need to do to launch the Admin console?

TIA

Al

Hi Steven:

Thanks for the reply. I went in to Admin Tools>Services and Filemaker Server is set to automatic and is started. I stopped the service and restarted it. I still can not open the Admin Console. Here are the error messages I am getting.

"Admin Server Connection Error"

The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server.

Then:

"The Database Server is not available."

To edit server deployment, please start the database server first.

I click OK and then:

"Unable to start the database server."

Please contact your system administrator for assistance.

So I contacted him (me) and he said you'd better ask Steven cause I have no idea why that would happen. :)

Seriously, I also contacted the folks who handle my computer OS problems to make sure I was in the right place. They are not familiar with FMS and asked if there were any other files besides FM Server that need to be running?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Al

Edited by Guest

OK, so I played and played and kept clicking on Start Admin Console and Restart database server.

I opened the CMD prompt and ran netstat with several different switches. It showed that port 16000 was "listening" and Time_Wait.

I then went back in to FMS and clicked on Start Admin Console, as expected the restart box appeared. I clicked "Restart" again AAAANNNNDD I guess Mr. Murphy was out having his afternoon Totti because miracle of miracles Admin Console opened. I was able to configure FMS and I was able to load the Test Database.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Al

This topic is 6140 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.