Toggle Text on Button

This topic is 3381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to *automatically* change the text on a button?

My preference would be (example):(

If Field1 = Male, button text displays "Change to Female"

If Field 1 = Female, button text displays "Change to Male"

Changing (field1) and the button text each time it is clicked.

I've actually got several choices I'd like to to cycle through, but this would get me started.

Thanks!

Daniel

Create an unstored calculation field to use as the button text.

Case(Field1 = "Male"; "Change to Female"; Field1 = "Female"; "Change to Male")

Your button should be set to change the Field1 value and the new calc field should automatically update.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Newbies

If it's a Boolean field, you don't need any extra fields. Cycling through several values can be a bit more complex.

I realize that this is seven years later, and I don't know if anyone is still around, but I have downloaded this example, and I think I understand how it works, except that I can't figure out how exactly the text on the button is being changed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Newbies

I realize that this is seven years later, and I don't know if anyone is still around, but I have downloaded this example, and I think I understand how it works, except that I can't figure out how exactly the text on the button is being changed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oops, I am an idiot. I just figured it out. Sorry for reviving an old thread, but thanks for the help with the original posts.

• 1 year later...

The recent upgrade of our Forums's software has broken the links to these older posts. I have copies of most of these older posts, but I’m curious as to which ones you feel would still be pertinent after 7 years and were created with FileMaker Pro version 8.5 or 9 

• Newbies

Hi Lee, thanks, I will post in future problems like that in the appropriated place.

In fact I wanted to find a solution to those toggle on/off button that I didnt see the DATE those files are from.

Do you have any update ones? I didnt find any here. All stuff on Internet seems so complicated.

I am new to all of it but I know it cant be that hard. I even saw modern solutions like toggle slide buttons but nothing works to me.

Thanks for being helpful !

You have some great tools to accomplish these things now, back when 8 - 9 were the latest versions, it required a lot of workarounds

IMHO, you need to learn more about the functions and features in your version of FileMaker, and  would benefit from enrolling in a course or two.

You will find videos on FileMaker in a lot of places, including

lynda.com (free 1 month trial offering classes directed at the essentials and advanced.

Richard Carlton, one of our sponsors has a training package here http://learningfilemaker.com which costs about $40. US

FileMaker Inc provides videos on some of the tools and a training series which is free for subscribers IIRC https://community.filemaker.com

You can also find a lot of videos on the tools at YouTube. Search for FileMaker and the tool, function, etc you want to see.

I’m curious as to which ones you feel would still be pertinent after 7 years and were created with FileMaker Pro version 8.5 or 9 

​With regard to the topics covered in this thread, namely (1) toggling a Boolean filed and (2) cycling through a value list, nothing has changed.

This topic is 3381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.