Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

View a pdf file from a script

This topic is 6147 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a very simple database with records containing only a reference number and a container field with a pdf (reference) in it. I want to use a script to search the file for the reference number, then when it finds it display the pdf file. It looks to me like the Open URL step should open the pdf file, but either I'm reading it wrong or I'm just not getting the syntax for the file path correct (I'm on a mac).

No matter what I do it always tries to open a web site. Now, I know that's what you should expect it to do, but the Filemaker help file gives an example of using it to open Notepad to open a text file.

I could just have them double-click the container field to have the pdf pop up, but it would be a lot nicer if the pdf would just come up by itself.

Seems like this should be a simple thing to do, but I'm not getting it. Thanks for any help.

You CAN use Open URL[], but you need to (a) extract the absolute reference out of the container field, and (: change the URL protocol from whatever it happens to be into "file://".

The following would work (on a Mac) with contents inserted as file, reference only:

Open URL [ Substitute ( GetValue ( YourTable::ContainerField ; 2 ) ; "filemac:/" ; "file://" ) ]

A simpler way is to have a script simulate a double-click by using the Go to Field{} script step, with "Select/perform" checked.

This topic is 6147 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.