Server Maintenance This Week. ×

OK Button in Scriptmaker

This topic is 5972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Grrr, i have just updated to new FM 9 and as for now , i think in some ways its better. But i am getting really upset when viewing, creating or editing scripts, that there is NOWHERE THE OK BUTTON! Always click the cross, then click on Save button - it tortures me. Isn't there any update or fix or addon or something that can add these buttons (Ok/Discard ) to it? I have really no idea why did they deleted those 2 most important buttons. Someone can help, before i get mad? Thanks a lot. Matěj Kmínek

No, they just thought that since ScriptMaker is no longer a modal dialog (you can switch to other windows, and even edit multiple scripts in multiple files at the same time), it should behave like a regular document window. There's no OK button in a Word document, is there?

Still, I agree that in view of the way ScriptMaker works (i.e. mainly by mouse), keeping the button would be useful.

I feel that this was one of those "less is better" ideas, which interface developers sometimes implement, without really knowing how people use the product. The lack of a button is the main reason I still use FileMaker 8.5 for development, though I have 9.0v3, and that's saying something.

I don't want to have reach over to the keyboard and hit 2 keyboard combinations to close the darn window. If I made a change, I want to save it, every time. I do not want my computer to beep at me. I may not even have my hands on the keyboard. I may be be making one small change to several scripts, using only the mouse, trying to move quickly. I may be holding a coffee cup in the my left hand B)-]

It is true that most word-processing documents do not necessarily have a "Save" button on the document. That is because, 1. It's almost exclusively a keyboard-centric application, and, 2. The button is usually available, usually as a default on a toolbar, or as an option for same.

I have yet to hear a technical reason why we should not have both options, button or keyboard. Is the window too stupid to know it's the one you clicked on? I don't think so.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, in here, as Bcooney mentioned that "Ctrl-S" is the better idea. However, if we just use mouse, in Windows XP, when you hit the "close" Windows button, they will have the confirmation message. (See below)

Although this can be done, I still agree that FM should have "OK" or "Cancel" button to save or cancel the modifying of scripts directly from "Edit Script" layout...

info.jpg

This topic is 5972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.