Migration to SMTPit Pro - Advice Please

jkrier

This topic is 5944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are planning on migrating from SMTPit classic (retired) to SMTPit Pro as soon as possible. Has anyone done this and have some ideas on how to make the transition as painless as possible? We have around 60 workstations and 70 databases in our FileMaker system.

In my initial testing, it seems like we will have to manually remove the old plugin from each machine before setting up SMTPit Pro in our AutoUpdate process. Is there a programmatic way to setup backwards compatibility?

Any helpadvice is appreciated.

I only had about 5 installations to convert, but for whatever reason, my mail scripts did not work with SMTPit Pro until they were rewritten using the new functions, even though there is a preference in Pro to recognize the old-style functions.

At any rate, the upgrade was well worth it, with the extra features and much-improved performance and reliability.

You may want to consider wrapping the plugin calls in custom functions. You'd then need to adjust each script to call the CFs rather than call the plugin directly. At that point you can change your CFs when you're ready and all the scripts will be done.

Another way to deal with it is to call the new plugin's version or register function in your script, and if it returns non-valid, you can use the old script steps. It's messy but should be reliable.

One pitfall I see with using a Custom Function in this instance is that the orig poster has a 70 file solution.

He may have a large number of CF's to install across the DB since each CF must be installed in each file separately (I know about 3rd party workarounds, but it is still a hassle).

Good catch, Jerry, a CF is not really a time-saver when you have to deploy it in multiple files.

Julie, I would suggest consolidating your email scripts in one file if possible, so your other files can call these scripts as needed and you can maintain it all in one place.

This topic is 5944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.