Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Indent markers in ScriptMaker

This topic is 5915 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When working within a more complex script which contains many If[]s within If[]s, it is difficult for me to see which step and End If lines up with which If[] because they are only indented by two spaces. When scripts are longer, the original If[]s won't show on the screen at same time and working in these types of scripts is very frustrating.

If FileMaker could show an ident line (you know the thing, like in word processors where a faint line will show almost as a column down the page) then it would be easy to know how deep within the If[]s one is working. With Else If[], Else, End If ... scripts would be easier, I think. Even colorizing the levels would help.

I can see the point in this, when it's impossible to make the objects stronger - this obstracle should however be regarded as a gentle nod to attempt a less scripted or at least a slightly more modularized approach to the scripting, but I would reinforce my objects first, then pull as much looping out and turn it CF instead.

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/281483/

--sd

Oh, I hear you, Soren. And I agree. I've been using FM since September '02 and this is the FIRST time I've had a script which is this complex. Regardless, many scripts can run longer than what displays and I've (many times) struggled a bit to remember how many indents I'm at (even if only a few).

The problem with sub-scripts is that you can't read them either, while working in the script. I had listed it on paper (pretty-much) then moved it to the script. And the script fires properly. But while debugging, it is very difficult. I suppose I should divide it up all into subscripts but I prefer having everything in one script unless it's a portion which can be used elsewhere.

If you understood why I brought it up then you too, and probably many others, have also struggled with it. Thanks for the link. I've read it but I never mind being pointed to good things more than once. :wink2:

I have more to suggestion to FileMaker regarding ScriptMaker ...

Edited by Guest

Indeed I have! And I've even used it (and parts of the idea) when I have a standardized process to run. But I do not think this current problem could take advantage of it but I will consider it further from this perspective as well. Regardless, take the example Alexander provided and multiply it's length by two and then envision how much easier it would be to see the 'groups' if there was a line (or shaded column) at each indent so one could easily see start/finish of each group. Or even a #1 at beginning and end of first group, #2 at beginning and end of second, etc.

Or even if the indents were GREATER than two spaces. Let me whine if I wish - I think ScriptMaker can be improved. As for my current script, you've also helped me by reminding me that, as I've been told before, if I struggle so much on clarity then I'm simply not yet ready to write the code. I thought I was. I was wrong. So you gave me perfect answer - start over on paper - again!! :waytogo:

Instead of improving the indenting - which is hard to follow even with vertical ruler lines - I'd prefer the addition of disclosure triangles that could collapse/expand a block, just like you can with script groups.

However, I wouldn't put a very high priority on this, since it's not needed often, while there are many more pressing issues with "standardized processes" that demand attention.

This topic is 5915 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.