Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker over Citrix

This topic is 5835 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Please pardon my ignorance but I have just been posed with the following question and I'm not entirely sure where to post it:

can filemaker/ Filemaker server be used over Citrix on dumb terminals?

basically we have developed a database for a client who are currently in the process of moving there IT systems onto Citrix, now the question we have been asked is can a multiuser database built in Filemaker still be used by everyone in question on a Citrix system.

If so is there anything we need to do to make sure our database will work on our clients new system.

TIA for all your help :

Yes it can. Most of our current users are on the Citrix environment. For the most part, it works fine for us.

There are some limitations that we have found with it though. First we have a font and PNG issue. Since Citrix usually uses lower resolution, certain images such as PNGs and GIFs with transparent background look horrible. this is also true for fonts. Our font looks great when using client. However, once you use Citrix they look bad. Also make sure that the fonts that you develop the solution with are compatiable with the fonts on the Citrix Box.

Another good idea is so turn off the check for Automatically check for update since most likely your end users will nto have access to update the FMP client on the Citrix box. The message will just get annoying eventually.

Now these are just my findings so far. YMMV of course.

You may not even need Citrix to accomplish your goals. Citrix runs on top of Microsoft Terminal Services and Terminal Services is very possibly capable of doing all you are after without the need to purchase Citrix at all. Might be worth looking into.

Whoops, I just realized that Mr. Optimus may be inquiring about Citrix on the Mac OS. Since I know jack diddley about Macs, you can probably disregard me earlier comments.

Whoops, I just realized that Mr. Optimus may be inquiring about Citrix on the Mac OS. Since I know jack diddley about Macs, you can probably disregard me earlier comments.

No mate I'm enquiring on behalf of a client we have developed a database for its not for us personally, but thanks for your input :

thanks to everyone else who has replied too : it has been very helpful so far :

• 2 months later...

Im involved in the project with optimus.

Im actualy trying to install it now.

Install goes fine, FM 9 Pro runs on the citrix server.

The problem is, when sat on a terminal i cant launch it.

I've followed the guide above, no joy.

Is there anything i need to do citrix wise? Ive tried various things with 'publishing application' etc. but can some one please give me a step by step of how to allow a citrix user to open FM? please please please

many thanks

The problem is, when sat on a terminal i cant launch it.

Could you elaborate on this? Do you even see the Icon? Do you have other apps that are launched from Citrix? If so do you see those icons and do they work? etc etc.

This topic is 5835 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.