Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Deploying changes to Filemaker solutions?

This topic is 5887 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm a web/db developer (PHP/MySQL, ASP/SQL Server, etc.) that has gotten involved with a Filemaker solution. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to deploy layout changes to a solution hosted on a FM 5.5 server. Right now, I can think of three ways to do this:

• make the changes "live" while connected to the server
  • take the file offline, copy it to my workstation, make the changes, then deploy it back to the server (and hope no-one needs it while I'm working on it)
  • make the required changes on a backup copy locally on my workstation, then when ready to deploy, export the data from the old file on the server, replace it with the new file, then import the previously-exported data

None of these seem ideal to me, although the third option (export/import) is probably the best of the bunch. Is there a better way to handle these sort of changes - something along the lines of a "diff" or "patch" that could be deployed - or is this just the way it works in the Filemaker world?

Oh, and please assume that each of these steps involves taking backups before any changes take place. Thanks for any advice

Unfortunately there is no diff or patch mechanism that can be used with FM...

So you're stuck with options 1 to 3. Option 1 is the fastest but can be risky if your connection drops. Also making schema changes in a live file may produce unwanted results for existing sessions. Live development has been known to corrupt files and/or data.

This topic is 5887 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.