Server Maintenance This Week. ×

New doc in Tab

This topic is 5841 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If a layout (that serves one table) controles a tab (That serves another table) and the tab controles the portal (That serves another table), Is there any way to create a new document in a tab without creating a new document in the tab controler, but not in the main layout (or main table)?

Thanks

The Tramp

Edited by Guest

Tab objects don't "serve another table," they share the same TO as the layout. By "new document in a tab," do you mean: create a related record? Yes, you can create related records without creating a new parent record. Is that really what you're asking? Can you give a more specific example of what you're trying to do?

Maybe my terminology may be a little off.

I have 3 tables, My main or "Job" table which controls the whole DBS. Linked to My "Chemical Mix" table which data is input by way of the tab, Linked to my "Chemical use" table which is a portal within that tab that lists the chemicals used in the mix. I want to be able to create a new mix with a new chemical list in the portal all under the same "Job ID" (NOT create another JOB in the main table). The Job table doesn't allow duplicate Job ID's.

Thanks

The Tramp

Forget about the tab object for now. It is simply an interface element and has no bearing on how your tables relate or record creation.

My understanding is that you currently have a single Mix related to each Job but you want to have the option for multiple Mixes per Job.

You might make it work something like this:

1. Create Mix records via a portal

2. Click a button on the Mix portal goes to a Mix layout, where you show related Use records in another portal

Now if you want to stay on the same layout, it's a little more complicated. You'd need to do something like:

1. same as above

2. Click the button on Mix portal will load that portal row's Mix ID into a global field; it will also Go to Object(Use Tab)

3. The Use portal on the Use Tab will be related by the global field

Hope that gives you some ideas.

This topic is 5841 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.