Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Windows 2008 Server

This topic is 5664 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have started testing FM Server 9 with Windows Server 2008 standard two days ago. What we can say so far is: the programme installs without problem, once the FM Server is running operation seems to be smooth and without problems.

We do have some issues with the automated startup of the FM Server though. Sometimes the service is running but FM Server does not open the files it should open and the control panel fails to connect to the server. This seems to be connected to a situation where the server restarts after changes in the server profile and completes some configuration changes after startup, but I'm not sure here so far.

Hi Nicolaus,

Please keep us posted, we're almost ready to "migrate"....our techies have been testing all their MS stuff on this new server software, but are also keen to get our FileMaker tested as well.

Cheers

Jalz

As of now, Server 2008 [color:red]is not is not a supported platform. FMI has announced no plans to have FileMaker Server 9 run on Windows Server 2008.

Steven

You have to wonder what this means to fmserver. I would think this would cause some people to not use Filemaker if they cannot upgrade their Server. I'm sure it will give some IT managers another reason to not like FM.

Maybe we can get it running on linux.

You have to wonder what this means to fmserver

It means that FMI, as has usually been the case, does not retrofit already shipping products when a major new OS comes out. I can think of only one exception to this. They do issue v-rev's, as was the case with the Leopard OS. But I would not expect them to do a major fix for any issues that Server 9 encounters on Windows Server 2008. OTOH, I have been surprised before. And remember: He who lives by the FileMaker Crystal Ball soon learns to eat ground Case functions.

Steven

You have to wonder what this means to fmserver. I would think this would cause some people to not use Filemaker if they cannot upgrade their Server. I'm sure it will give some IT managers another reason to not like FM.

To be fair, I don't think anyone's in a HUGE hurry to upgrade to something newly out of beta. Unlike FM, MS doesn't instantly stop supporting the previous release when a new one is released.

Unlike FM, MS doesn't instantly stop supporting the previous release when a new one is released.

[color:red]

FileMaker, Inc, does not follow the policy you ascribe to it. It supports the current version, and one full version back. And for nearly the last year, it has also supported version 7. That is about to end however.

Steven

Well not realllly. I suppose it depends on what it is you define as "support".

If it's patches... well i've not really seen FM release a patch for any version of FM after a new version has been released. If it's new technologies... Well we all saw what happened with the FM API beta...

If its those two support calls you get with a purchase that lead the "filemaker artists" on the other end of the line to deduct a credit despite not answering your question, well then i doubt its that either.

If it's the knowledge base which add's known issues to previous versions despite not releasing resolutions, well it can't be that either.

The support relating to the forums is provided for technet members who have to pay - and moreover it's not really version specific advice.

They don't have patch archives available on the fm.com site for any version of FM less than 7, so that must be it...

It's pretty much impossible to buy non current versions, and or if you do, you're doomed to a patchless system that won't be compatible with any new OS and / or any OS patches that might induce an error in FM.

What exactly is FileMaker's definition of support?

All the upgrade patches for the supported versions are on the FileMaker Web Site on the downloads page.

The current version and one full version back means 8, 8.5, and 9. It has also since July 10th 2007 meant version 7. The version 7 support will end at the end of the FMI fiscal year in September.

Steven

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Nicholaus,

I've not had any success starting FileMaker Server 9.0 on Windows Server 2008. For my experience the Start screen appears but the Admin Console fails to open with an error that there is no database server. The FM Server service is running.

The exact message is titled "Deployment" and states: "The Database Server is not available. To edit server deployment, please start the Database Server first".

Can I get your help? How can I "manually start the database server"? ...or am I experiencing something unique from your experiences?

I've tried deploying both x86 and x64 OS versions without any difference. I've also disabled the OS firewall without any change.

Server 2008 is an important OS for this client and I hope FileMaker gets to work in writing a version that will work with it. I never understand why software vendors wait until after an OS RTM's to react when they have access to RC code well in advance. As for Server '08 its now been out for 6 months which will be 1/6 of its intended lifcycle.

• Newbies

Thank you. Unfortunately I'm not getting to that point so its a no go. I suspect it is the underlying Java but I've no idea how to troubleshoot this other than to make certain I've got the latest version.

• Newbies

Thank you for responding.

The services.msc MMC console shows that FileMaker Server service is "Started" (& Automatic) and manually restarting it has no affect on the Admin Console being able to open. Is there any other dependent service?

As for starting up via the command line, which commands or files do I need to "Run" or "Open"? There are three application files (fmsadmin.exe, fmserver.exe, & fmshelper.exe) located at "C:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker ServerDatabase Server". Is any of these what should be manually run or opened?

BTW the account I'm using is the local administrator.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

If this information can be useful, from our experience with running FileMaker Server 9 on Windows Server 2008, the database engine can be managed trough command line instructions, and the console can be accessed remotely from any Windows XP or Mac OS X workstation. We did install the small 9.0.3.326 update for our Intel-Mac workstation to connect properly.

That being said, since FileMaker Server 9 is not certified for Windows Server 2008 and not officially supported, I would not recommend using it until an official update is released by FMI.

Philippe Lazzaroni

FileMaker 8 & 9 Certified Developer

Direct Impact Consulting

http://www.directimpact.ca/

Phone: 450-663-0005 # 225

Toll free: 1-888-558-0005 # 225 (Canada Only)

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

I am having the same issues, Admin Console will not start, same error. This was on a 2008 server.

So I tried it on a 2003 server and get the same results. I think it is a java problem, but cannot confirm that.

Anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I promissed to keep you posted on any progress we make regarding Windows Server 2008. While the computer we talked about above still refuses to start the engine, our own server runs smoothly since many weeks now.

The problem that FM server starts on restart but fails to start the database engine has been solved now: after installing Windows Server 8 the TCP/IP connection shows both an entry for IPv4 and IPv6. After we removed the entry for IPv6 everything is fine now.

The only problem that remains is that the server does not accept any connections via php/xml.

This topic is 5664 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.