Irish Family Names

datalink

This topic is 5797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We recently had a fellow whom, being very proud of his Irish heritage, wondered why our system always displayed his name in title case, rather than allowing for a second capital letter in his family name. I figured that this was a simple formatting issue, but I can't seem to turn it off.

When the field was originally defined it had an auto replace calc on it to set the contents of the field to title case, but that is switched off at this point.

The reformatting happens as the name is being keyed; not at commitment.

Anyone have any ideas? At this point it just seems bizarre to me.

You may have something effecting else wrong here, maybe corruption, or something you just aren't seeing. I would attach a copy of the file, so that we can look, test, etc. too.

BTW, remove any confidential information, or make a No Record Clone.

The field has no formatting on it other than font (nothing strange there).

Are you sure about that? Go into Layout mode, select the field and choose Format > Text... It's more likely than not that Title Case is checked on there.

I thought of that too and I did check to make sure. What's more I created a new layout and added a fresh copy of the field to that layout. It too, without any formatting on it behaves the same way.

Defining a totally new field and adding it to that same dev layout the same way, it behaves correctly. Its almost like the issue is at the field definition level. But the settings between the original name field and the new one are identical.

It sounds like the data was pasted into the field, and had the Formatting of the Clipboard?

Where is the copy of the file?

Lee

Edited by Guest

Your description of data being reformatted as you type, without exiting the field, is consistent with layout-level formatting - and no other explanation I can think of. Why don't you attach the file, so we can tell for sure?

This topic is 5797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.