Server Maintenance This Week. ×

steps to use SuperContainer with legacy DB

This topic is 5721 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, thanks to Val, SuperContainer is now running on my Server.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use it.

That's my scenario: I have a machine running FM9 and a server running FMS9A (both are Win2003 machines). What I need is updating an existing DB making the embedded container field as supercontainers saving the PDFs they contain and after publishing the updated DB with IWP.

So those are the steps I guess I have to do in order to achieve my goal.

1- Installing supercontainer as a standalone server application on the machine running FM9

2- Using a script that loops through all the records and pushes that container data into SuperContainer. In this way I will have all my PDFs saved into supercontainer directory. Is it enough to move them from the FM machine to the Server in order to keep them working?

3- Replacing the container field with supercontainer in DB input view.

4- Installing supercontainer on Server (where I run FMS9A)

5- Coping the updated DB on FMS9A and start it up.

Is it correct?

Am I missing something?

Thank you so much for any help. I appreciate it.

Have a nice day!

Edited by Guest

1- Installing supercontainer as a standalone server application on the machine running FM9

2- Using a script that loops through all the records and pushes that container data into SuperContainer. In this way I will have all my PDFs saved into supercontainer directory. Is it enough to move them from the FM machine to the Server in order to keep them working?

3- Replacing the container field with supercontainer in DB input view.

4- Installing supercontainer on Server (where I run FMS9A)

5- Coping the updated DB on FMS9A and start it up.

I don't see any reason to do this in standalone mode on the client computer - you can skip several steps by just doing it straight to the server, like this:

1 - Install SuperContainer on Server (I think you have already done this)

2 - Install the SuperContainer companion plugin on the client (this is necessary for step 3)

3 - Use a script that loops through all the records. Call the SCSetContainer plugin function for each record - this will push the data from the container field up to the server and store it in the right place

4 - Replacing the container field with SuperContainer in DB input view

Edited by Guest
Clarified that you need the companion plugin installed

Thanks Jesse.

I apologize about the follow question if it looks like silly but I'm a FM newbie.

Do you mean I can run the script from FM9 connected to the db hosted on FMS9A? or directly on the browser through IWP.

Moreover, how can I access to the DB input view from FMS9A? I couldn't find the way to do that.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

Have a nice day!

Thanks Jesse, I see, in this way I'm going to save time.

Right now I'm trying to use SuperContainer in order to see if it solves my issues. I have created a super simple DB called sc_test with 2 fields a text one called name and a webviewer called pdf. The webviewer URL looks like "http://acs.locale:8020/SuperContainer/Files/pdfs/" & sc_test::pdf

And it looks like all the record refer to the same file: when I create a new record the pdf is already there, when I detate it, all teh record loose their link to it, finally if I change file all the records point to the new one. Have I created the URL in the right way?

I have watched the demo movie "setting up SuperContainer in your solution" and I have noticed when he creates the URL he can choose among several values: Created By, Date Created, ... Document ID, ... However I have only the name of my fields (name and pdf). Am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help.

Have a nice day!

Thanks Jesse, I see, in this way I'm going to save time.

Right now I'm trying to use SuperContainer in order to see if it solves my issues. I have created a super simple DB called sc_test with 2 fields a text one called name and a webviewer called pdf. The webviewer URL looks like "http://acs.locale:8020/SuperContainer/Files/pdfs/" & sc_test::pdf

And it looks like all the record refer to the same file: when I create a new record the pdf is already there, when I detate it, all teh record loose their link to it, finally if I change file all the records point to the new one. Have I created the URL in the right way?

I have watched the demo movie "setting up SuperContainer in your solution" and I have noticed when he creates the URL he can choose among several values: Created By, Date Created, ... Document ID, ... However I have only the name of my fields (name and pdf). Am I missing something?

Hi Folks,

I apologize to post again but I need to make it working as soon as possible and I can't figure out what is wrong with my db.

Please, could you let me know where I'm missing something.

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it

Have a nice day!!!

This topic is 5721 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.