Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Server 5.5 DB migration to new host

docrice

This topic is 5700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I apologize if this has been covered before. I didn't find a thread like it, so please provide a link if available. I was recently tasked with helping a small office migrate their FileMaker Server 5.5 installation to a new machine.

The old server is running Server 2003 Standard Edition (SP1):P 192.168.1.3. Internal DNS was handled by the broadband router and there's no name suffix published to all DHCP clients.

A new server was acquired, Server 2003 SP1 installed, patched, promoted as a DC (in the event they wish to use an AD-based network later on), and made to function as the office's new DNS (configured to use the ISP's DNS as the forwarder). All hosts except the old server now get their IP leases from the new machine (with the equivalent functions on the router disabled). The new server's IP is 192.168.1.201. A firewall is running at neither of these machines. The FM clients can access the old FM server in this new setup.

We then decided to transition the databases from the old to new server so I had all the clients in the office logoff from the old FM server. I ensured the configuration (as displayed in the FM administrator console) were the same between the old and new host, except perhaps for the location of the DB backups. After stopping the FM service on the old host, I copied the databases over to the new machine with the same path (I believe this was %ProgramFilesFileMaker ServerData). I then started the FM service on the new host.

From a FM Pro 6 client, I tried to manually locate a database by using the Open File -> Hosts function and entering in the name of the new server. I tried the IP as well. Neither allowed me to locate a database file. Then I found out that the users apparently use a 'launcher' application database which I presume has a startup script to call the specific server and open a set of defined databases. Since I don't have the password to unlock this, naturally I can't see what it's trying to do.

A packet trace shows that when the client attempts to connect to the new server (I believe this was initiated over UDP 5003 or something similar), the new FileMaker server responds, but obviously no database information is passed over. At least the new server seems to be listening on the correct port(s).

I decided to unplug the old server from the network and assign the new server a second IP of 192.168.1.3 so it can mimic the original. The client still didn't see the database set at the new location. The old machine was named 'FILEMAKER' so I decided to configure the new FM Server's 'name' (in the FM admin console) to this, as well as adding a DNS CNAME. It still didn't seem to work, even though I believe I restarted the FM service on the new machine.

Either the databases on the new machine are not being properly published, or the Launcher utility is hard-coded to look for the characteristics of the old machine which I can't replicate on the new one.

It's been quite a while since I've last worked with FM on a daily basis (about 8 years) so I assume I'm missing something obvious. I've been trying to get assistance from the group who originally set this environment up, but they haven't been responsive and I don't want to keep the client waiting any further (the office has reverted back to the old setup for now). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Usually the opeern file with just open the remote file and then close the opener file. It usually has the file referenced with an IP address (or DNS name) for the remote path but if you changed the new box to the same IP and DNS of the old one, it doesnt really seem like that should be the issue.

There is nothing on the new server that blocks 5003 correct? I know you said there was no firewall.

• Newbies

I perused through that whitepaper yesterday, although I didn't find anything that pertained to my situation. If I missed something, let me know.

Based on the packet trace, I get responses from the FM server on port 5003, so it looks like it's accessible. Not sure where else to look though. The Windows Firewall service is stopped.

Is there a way to verify whether the FM Server has indeed "published" the databases to the network? Is there a way of verifying this o the server side?

Also, the administrator password on the old server was set to null. I've set a more brute-force-resilient string on the new server. I would presume this shouldn't make a difference since we're not talking about sharing files via SMB / CIFS, but I thought I'd mention that.

This topic is 5700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.