Pie chart within FM (8)?

Slater

This topic is 5635 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but what is the best way to get a pie chart to show data within FM itself? I have a database with some data which i would like to show graphically (without having to leave FM to go to a browser for example).

Is this possible with the standard FM ... my research makes me say no.

I have found quite a few plug ins by third parties that seem to do that - is this the only way to go / which is the best plug in / and would i have to upgrade to FM9?

Many thanks,

Slater

It's possible to do it within Filemaker, but it requires quite a lot of work.

For a chart with only two segments, you need to prepare a full circle in color 1, and say 59 "slices" in color 2, ranging from 1 to 59 minutes in size. To create the chart, you select the closest matching slice in color 2 and and show it overlaying the full circle in color 1.

To add a third segment, you need another 59 slices in color 3, and you overlay the appropriate slice over the composite of previous slices, and so on (each slice needs to be the size of the slice in front of it + self).

I believe that's how Brian Dunning's ChartMaker Pro does it (of course it does other things, too).

It's much easier in versions 8.5 and 9, where you can use the web viewer.

Thanks Comment - yes, a cunning way of doing it!

With 8.5 and 9, can you have the pie chart directly within the FM window, or do you have to goto the browser to see the graphic?

Sorry for the extra question when you've been kind enough to answer my original post,

Slater

I would definately suggest you upgrade. You will have a variety of different prebuilt chart types at your expense that are done with different technologies such as Flash, Javascript, etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've bought FM9 now, but i think i'm being a bit stupid - is there no way to make a quick and simple pie chart within the page? I've looked at Chartmaker Pro (which seems to be more complicated than what i need), google charts (not within the FM window) and the widget (again not 'in page') but i'm still looking.

Anyone know a simple method to get a simple pie chart (like 5 variables) embeded within the FM window - is it even possible?

Many thanks if you can help out,

Slater

This topic is 5635 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.