Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple server deployment

This topic is 5634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, Developers,

I've been running IWP on an XServe via FMSA 9.

I recently attempted to split the configuration across two computers:

Mini - for the Web Server and WPE

Xserve - for the database hosting

* I uninstalled FMSA 9 from the Xserve (after making sure everything was stopped)

* Installed FMSA 9 as a worker on the mini (after verifying that Apache was up and running on it)

* Reinstalled FMSA 9 on the XServe as the master.

When it went through the deployment assistant, I received the following error:

"Deployment/Configuration error -150 Starting the WPE(wpe1) component failed: error code = 2504"

And, indeed, I could no longer get to the database via IWP, as the error suggested would be the case.

When I checked, Apache was no longer running on either computer. I had to comment out what appeared to be remnant Filemaker lines regarding PHP from the config.httpd file (possibly from Filemaker 8 or from a long ago abandoned trial run of the FMI PHP API prior to its official release?) in order to get Apache to start in both scenarios.

Then I went through the edit deployment to see if reselecting it manually would kick the WPE on. No luck.

I switched it so that the XServe would handle both the database and WPE and the mini would just be the web server. Still no luck.

I would up setting it back up on the XServe as a single machine setup again.

Five hours later, right back where I started. Ugh.

Sorry to be long winded. Just want to make sure I provide any detail that may be related.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the ports indicated in the FileMaker Manual for multiple computer deployment are all open so that doesn't appear to be the issue either.

Thanks in advance,

Yvonne

Well, this is now the 3rd or 4th instance of issues reagrding access with the 2 machine configuration. No two of these instances are actually 100% identical, but all have a high level of similarity.

You might want to load all 3 components onto the xServe. That may work, and it will be significantly more robust than using the miniMac.

FMI is aware of these issues. I am working on this.

Steven

Thank you, Steven.

I do have everything back on the XServe for now.

My intent is to keep the XServe hidden from the general public and provide a bit of additional security by having all external traffic (which is the web site) routed through the Mini. The amount of traffic is very small so the Mini would suffice.

I will be scheduling another onsite to go through the steps one more time, just in case I missed something.

I'll post my results here.

In the meantime, if anyone comes up with any possible ideas or suggestions, I'd very much appreciate them.

Thanks,

Yvonne

I wonder if this is similar enough to get some help here.

I am currently running FMS Adv 9 and would like to publish to the web. However, I'd like to use a separate machine (G5 OS X 10.5.5) as the web server and WPE. My problem is how do I install the WPE on this separate machine when it is already installed on my current FM Server (another G5).

I tried installing FMS 9 on the web server but I get an error message about the database server not being able to be opened. I suspect this is because I already have FMS 9 installed on the other machine.

Does this make sense? If yes, any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

I actually went ahead and re-installed. Now I cannot get the WPE running.

During the re-deployment my master FM server saw the web/wpe server but I cannot get the WPE running.

Additionally, Apache is now not even running on the web server.

I think this may be a port but I'm not sure.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks. I've got that article printed out in front of me and am trying to open the ports now.

It's very odd, I've manually opened port 80 on the web server multiple times but cannot even get the Apache test page to come up.

Do I need to edit the httpd.conf file? Other than enabling php?

Thanks,

Scott

Nope. And now I have another issue. I found on some other posts that this issue was fixed in v3 but that you had to make sure you didn't go directly from v1 to v3. Well, that's exactly what I did.

Just now I was trying to start all over again. I backed everything up, uninstalled FMS from the worker and master machine. I then re-installed v1 on both machines.

Here's where I ran into the problem. The v2 updater is locking up the machines.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

OK so I am back up with Apache and php on the web server. I am also seeing my web server from the FMS9 Admin Console.

On to the next set of errors/issues. I guess first a bit more background. I apologize for the length but....

The only thing I did differently this time was after installing FMS on the worker machine (and then confirming Apache and php were still running properly), I then edited the deployment, again, on the FMS Master machine. Here's the difference, I chose to use the already installed version of php, instead of the Filemaker version. I then successfully created a few more simple sites using the php site assistant. I created the site and got the screen about needing to copy the files to the web server, etc.

I did this and now I am getting all sorts of php errors.

Specifically, all of the php 'require' files already being loaded in the header,etc. When I remove some of these I get the following error:

Fatal error: Class CGI not found in....followed by the directory listing.

Am I missing something here? Why can't I find some exact documentation for using FMS Adv, php and Apache on multiple machines? Everything I've seen so far is far too general.

Do I need to edit the php.ini file, or the http.conf file?

Sorry to sound angry but this is driving me crazy. There's no way this should be this difficult.

Thanks,

Scott

I understand your frustration, and it mirrors my own with a recent dual machine installation not even involving PHP.

Have you opened a Tech Support case? I would recommend that. The more of these they see, the more underlying infomation they can garner to provde SQA and Engineering for a fix.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

To report back in:

I tried the uninstall / reinstall scenario outlined in my first post of this topic again.

This time, I made sure that Apache was still running after the installs but before going through the deployment assistant on the Master Server.

Still received the same end result: "Deployment/Configuration error -150 Starting the WPE(wpe1) component failed: error code = 2504" on the Master Server at the end of the setup assistant.

If I continue and attempt to go to the URL that the Web Server is (in theory) running on, I get the following error: "Forbidden. You do not have authorization to access this server."

If anyone has any other ideas on this, they would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,

Yvonne

PS: In 10 years of full-time FileMaker development, I've never had to open a tech support case. Guess there's a first time for everything! I'm not even certain how to go about doing so but I've just rejoined technet after letting my membership lapse so perhaps I'll go that route? Thanks for the suggestion, Stephen.

Edited by Guest

If I continue and attempt to go to the URL that the Web Server is (in theory) running on, I get the following error: "Forbidden. You do not have authorization to access this server."

Yes, I have seen this. Plese report to Tech Support. The way I fixed it was to reverse the two machines' respective roles.

Steven

This topic is 5634 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.