Locking the creation of related records

This topic is 5631 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I asked for some help a few days ago regarding the locking and unlocking of records. I have that working to a certain extent, though a problem has just been pointed out to me.

When a record is locked, editing is limited - so you cant edit the record until it is unlocked. Deleting is also limited - this too cannot be performed until the record is unlocked. However, I have a portal linking to some related records, and I can still create related records even when the record is locked!! however, I cant change the privilige to be "no" for create, otherwise no one can create records even when it is unlocked...

Is there anyway of limiting related record creation based on a condition/ formula?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason V.

You could add a locked layout for the parent that does not allow creation in the portal (a new relationship from parent to child).

You can also set Record Access for the child recs, similar to the parent.

How would that work though? Because if the field is not set to "locked" then the user should be able to enter data in the portal (create related records)... and it would be the same layout?

I seem to have gotten around this simply by requiring the user to click a button to add a record in the related table. If a particular field is set to locked, this script won't allow the operation to be performed. Works fairly well. Any significant risks in this?

I think I'm becoming incredibly security paranoid after reading some threads on here!! Thanks again for the help. Regards, Jason.

I like the Add button to create portal records. I usually use a button, rather than have the user enter data directly. It allows for you to have more control of what happens bcs you're in a script.

Basically, without a button, an edit layout uses a relationship that allows creation. A "locked" layout uses a relationship with allow off.

Right... I get you now. In some other parts of my solution I have allow records to be created via this relationship enabled, but in the more secure ones - namely those dealing with cash values - its probably best to control everything via a script and hence a button... Thanks for the help :B

Neither process is inherently more or less secure than the other. If you want to prevent creation of records in a table by Accounts tied to a specific Privilege Set, then use the granualr record level access privileges for that purpose. That's what they are there for to asssit you.

Steven

This topic is 5631 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.