Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker shuts down when opening database!

This topic is 5593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

Our main computer (Windows XP) has both FMP 8.5 Advanced and FMP 8 on it. When I double-click a file it opens FMP, then closes right away again, before the file even opens. When I just start Filemaker, it works fine, but when opening a file from there it shuts down. It appears that the file opens for an instant, then FMP shuts down. This happens only on this computer, but with both FMP 8.5 Adv and FMP 8. I'm concerned that our data file may become corrupted since its being so rudely aborted.

I was also connecting to this computer thru a Remote Desktop Connection, and using FMP 8 to work on the file while someone else was using the file in FMP 8.5 Adv. FMP adv had hosting turned on, then I used Open Remote in FMP 8 to open the file. Sometimes it worked right, but usually FMP shut down when I clicked Open Remote. (the file was not yet opened at all) - (It worked fine as long as the file was not remote. The files and the software were all on the same computer, but this was a way to work on the file while someone else was using it)

I'm wondering if uninstalling and reinstalling both FMP programs would fix the problem. Thanks for your help.

BTW -- I know I double-posted, but who's going to find my other post way down at the bottom of the list;(

I hope this explains my problem clearly enough.

You probably have a corrupted file. You aren't specifically saying that the problem is with just this one file. So, to clarify, can you open any other file with FM8.5 on this box?

btw, bells went off for me concerning using Remote Desktop, but it might have been with FM9 (bcs of issues with the Activation technology).

No, this can happen with any FMP database. What seemed strange to me was that it only happens on this one computer, with both FMP 8 and FMPA 8.5. I can have the same databases on other computers, opening them with the same versions of FM, and it works fine.

This had happened for us (on this same computer) earlier, then it seemingly went away for quite awhile, and now its happening again. This was with the same database, but it also happens with others, and sometimes FM crashes before the DB is even open.

BTW -- I know I double-posted, but who's going to find my other post way down at the bottom of the list;(

Hi Jason,

Most of us don't see the forum categories. Instead we see a straight list of ALL new posts. FM Forums prefers if you don't double post; those of us who respond see all posts regardless. You did nothing wrong in double posting, this is just reference for future. :wink2:

UPDATE: I deleted your other post for you!

Jason, double posts - although well intentioned tend to either be ignored, or you get responses in both of the threads. As LaRetta mentioned many readers of the forum monitor the daily activity (all posts coming in) vs circumnavigating the forum hierarchy tree.

When a duplicate is spotted it takes effort for our moderator to politely discourage the poster from doing so, and then merging or deleting the duplicates. As administrator I for one would rather see them invest time answering the technical questions vs spending times outlining the site rules, and managing threads. When we do come across a post that miss filed we will move it to a forum that matches the topic of the thread.

However if after you made a post and you haven't seen any replies in a day or so, you can "bump" the thread to the top of the list by just replying to your original post politely asking for assistance. - But be mindful of weekends and holidays as you may need to have a touch more patience before you get a reply.

This topic is 5593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.