User Privilges ???

This topic is 5607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a database that will have 3 levels of user. The first would be User, this role would be able to create a new record, but not be able to delete a record, only be able to chance certain fields, as well be able to view the reports that will be created and be able to search. I would also like this User account to, when the db is opened, to display in full screen (I have used Kiosk mode, but the Browse window still appears).

The second account is an Admin account that can do all of the above but not change/create/delete any layout or script.

The third is a "super" Admin account that can do everything.

The scenario too help explain further is in a dental surgery, a patient arrives for the first time so the receptionist will create the new file with the patient details (name, address etc). The next patient to come in has been before and is having treatment so now the receptionist will search for their record and ammend the details for the treatment (e.g. what has been paid and what has been done, so a running treatment payment report can be seen and printed should the patient want a copy) (the problem I have hear is that when the record can be changed inadvertently unless a search button is pressed). Also the receptionist, on the first Monday of the week (not that there are more than two Mondays in the week??) can press a button and find out who's birthdays are up in the next 7 days (this has already been done, thanks LaRetta) but just demonstrates that I want the receptionist to be able to run scripts.

The Admin account is the Dentist, and they have no wishes to meddle in the design and scripting elements of the db.

The "super" Admin account can do everything.

Apologies for the long post, Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Everything you described is pretty much right in front of you in the "Manage Accounts & Privileges" dialog, in the Privilege Sets tab.

(Covered in detail here:

http://filemaker.com/help/html/passwords.13.15.html#1028334 )

Is there something specific that is tripping you up?

Edited by Guest
Added help link

What you're calling "user level" is called a Privilege Set in FileMaker.

The Privilege Set can also be thought of as kind of a group to which a user belongs. As such, it doesn't do anything alone, but only when tied to one or more Accounts.

An Account should ideally be set up for each individual user, and consists of a name and password (linked to a Privilege Set).

The "super" account that you want is always created by default in a new FileMaker file, with a user/password of admin/(blank) and a Privilege Set called [Full Access].

You would want to change that password, and also go to the File Options and set it to not use that account by default.

For your other user levels, go to the File menu > Manage > Accounts & Privileges, then click Privilege Sets, and play around with some of the options. I think that most of what you're asking for can be set up just using the basic options, but if necessary it's possible to customize the security to a very granular level. E.g. you can use Custom Field Privileges to limit field access.

Fitch,

Thanks for the brief run down, it has helped alot. I have played around with the privilges set and have been able to almost get the User account to the place where I want it to be. I have some specicific issues now,

1. It seems I can't edit a portal row, even though the ... (Fitch, just so you know I have paid attention) the reason for the sudden stop in the sentance was that it occured to me that I had put the fields of the portal table to view only and that was why I got the privileges error on the record.

2. What I have noticed now though is that for the records that were created before the User had the limited privilges imposed they act correctly in that the User cannot modify the patient data, but can modify the patient payment type. But with a new record the User creates the record remains modifiable, both the part I want them to be able to change and the bit I don't.

This topic is 5607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.