Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to cancel out already enter job numbers.

This topic is 5565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two forms I use.

Job Description

Job Info

I create a new post with Job ID J09001 and on the JI page i can select the already jobs entered on JD page from a drop down and enter in the info per job.

Two questions.

Is there a way to eliminate the job numbers in the drop down on the JI page that have already had info entered. By the end of the year with two min jobs per day that drop down is going to be huge.

Also can i restrict editing to already inputed job info on the JI pages? I want to make sure my employees are not messing up data already entered which will throw off reports when generated.

Thanks your help hope this makes sense.

It's all possible.

As you create Job records, you have an auto-entered serial ID, correct?

How do you know the required fields are complete for a Job?

I really think it's as simple as creating a calc field that evaluates to 1 if the job info is complete. This could be something along the lines of:

flag_InfoComplete = If (not isempty(field1) and not isempty(field2), etc, 1, 0)

Then, use field level access privs to not allow edit by priv set User of the fields if flag_InfoComplete = 1. You could leave priv set Manager the ability to always edit any field in Job.

As for the drop down, why? How about simply a Find in Jobs for all Jobs where flag_InfoComplete <>1. This could be a button at the top of a Job List View.

Im a designer not a programmer so you will have to bare with me as I spoke to soon.

I have these two fields that must be completed to show form is completed.

(Name)

(Time Complete)

Once these are entered i would like to cut off editing.

Where does the "If" formula go? Do I create another field called "form complete" and insert in validation or calculation?

Thank you

Yes, create what's called a flag field calc (helps indicate the state of the record).

flag_isComplete_c (result number) = If ( not Isempty ( Name) and not IsEmpty(Time Complete); 1; 0)

Now, that being said, sometimes a workflow has a mgmt signoff on a record. That is, after data entry, a person with Manager access "approves" the record. This sets a flag_Approved to 1. Then, in record access privs, you would limit editing to User priv set so that they cannot edit if flag_Approved=1.

This approach frees you from your "hard-coded" definition of what fields must be complete for a record to enter the non-edit stage.

Edited by Guest

Im missing a step somewhere... I saw the image but not clear on how to set the privilege's.

manage>privileges>psets>edit>records>custom priv> set everything to yes? then im lost...

Thanks for being patient... ill get it sooner or later.

Let's take it a step at a time.

1. Did you define a priv set for users, I call it "Users"? (maybe duplicate the data entry priv set).

2. Edit privilege set "Users".

3. Select Custom Privs from the Records popup in the Data Access and Design group.

4. Set the table that you wish to limit edits (Jobs?).

5. Under the Edit popup, select limited.

6. And, finally, enter the calc.

Edited by Guest

Cool.... got thru that too... It works...

One step beyond

Job Info Page and Job Desc Page entry's are entered in at same time but on two diff layouts. Once name and time are entered i want both entry's blocked for that user group.

Right now everything is working for Jod Desc page where name and time are entered. How can I add the other entry to the blocked pages once complete? I think this makes sense...

Again thank you for guiding me thru this...

Well, in my first response I questioned why you need a drop-down of JobIDs. If you're looking at a Job List, why can't you just find the jobs that are incomplete? What is the JI layout and what table is it based on? Isn't it just a form view of Jobs? Why do you split Job Description and Job Info?

Lol yeah sorry im losing myself its not you.

Im trying to create a drop down in another layout that will only select the job number from the entry that hasnt been entered as a record.

Basically there are multiple layout for a specific job from Material, info, remake info etc. Each layout page will have the drop down to pick the job number that was inputted but not entered.

I dont want it to show job numbers that already have been created as records.

If i need to i can make a generic version for you to see what im referring to.

I suppose a demo will help. From your description, you are on the same job record* so I'm not following why the user needs to specify the job.

*Perhaps you prefer to break up the data entry across multiple layouts?

Yes I use several layouts per job entry for different users to enter specs into system about the job. The only reason i wanted to use FM was to eliminate errors they are prone to making on excel and on paper. With the auto selections they are limited to almost no errors.

I have several stations on a print line that have to compile specs about the job in reports and use a different layout for each due to amount of info they are entering in. I just want them to be able to select the job number they are entering data in for from the main job entry page but eliminate them from entering data to a job number that already exists in system.

This topic is 5565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.