Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Attaching scripts to toolbar buttons

iThink

This topic is 5578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I hope this topic is not duplicated but am I to understand that I cannot attach my custom scripts to the New Record, Show All, Sort, etc. button icons in the toolbar?

In other words I want my new record script to go to the assigned field or object in every table layout.

Am I also to understand that I cannot decide which icons shall be available in every table layout, or in other words if I choose New Record in table A, I cannot choose to delete New Record icon in Table B?

If that is the case I don't know what the advanced improvement is. The whole point to my purchase was to save time by dragging pre-made icons to a slick looking toolbar, and then assign my own script to them.

Please someone tell me it ain't so, and that there is a way either through script triggers or some other method to be able to utilize these time saving features in a powerful customized way.

I hope this topic is not duplicated but am I to understand that I cannot attach my custom scripts to the New Record, Show All, Sort, etc. button icons in the toolbar?

Not true. If you create a custom menu to replace those functions that call your new scripts, then the icon will run your script as long as the custom menu is in place.

Am I also to understand that I cannot decide which icons shall be available in every table layout, or in other words if I choose New Record in table A, I cannot choose to delete New Record icon in Table B?

This unfortuately IS TRUE. Only the end user can customize their toolbar. The developer can not create a custom toolbar for each layout...

This unfortuately IS TRUE. Only the end user can customize their toolbar. The developer can not create a custom toolbar for each layout...

But it's important to note that if the user doesn't have sufficient rights to delete a record the toolbar icon will be inactive. Six Fried Rice has an informative post on the subject, along with an astute warning about security through obscurity.

Indeed. But I still stand strong that it very silly to even display the icon for the end user to put on the toolbar if they cant use it. Why even bother offering it?

Indeed. But I still stand strong that it very silly to even display the icon for the end user to put on the toolbar if they cant use it. Why even bother offering it?

Giving users control over their toolbars is new to FileMaker, but it's a common feature in nearly every application on Mac OS X or Windows. A grayed out delete icon is actually informative (i.e., it tells the user that they can't delete this record). They could switch layouts and suddenly see if become active again for other records which they do have the right to delete.

I really like the new toolbar and I think most people will grow to like it after they get used to it.

Hi,

In other words I want my new record script to go to the assigned field or object in every table layout.

If that is the case I don't know what the advanced improvement is. The whole point to my purchase was to save time by dragging pre-made icons to a slick looking toolbar, and then assign my own script to them.

Please someone tell me it ain't so, and that there is a way either through script triggers or some other method to be able to utilize these time saving features in a powerful customized way.

You can most certainly attach your own scripts to any of these buttons. They perform menu commands. By using custom menus, you can change what these menu actions do. See:

http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/make-the-status-toolbar-work-for-you/

This topic is 5578 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.