Server Maintenance This Week. ×

More than 100 connections

This topic is 5569 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We just purchased Server 10A for our agency. The boss wants to start putting more and more of our agency work on the FM server so the employees can access it from home etc. as we are starting to let more and more people work from home to save time gase etc.

The problem is that we have over 250 employees and in theory more than 100 could try to connect at a one time.

I know that IWP will not work if more than 100 attempt to connect, I would like to know what solution we can use to allow more connections if needed.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

EDIT: I just realized that you were talking about IWP, [color:red]NOT CWP. Sorry, my mistake.

I lifted this data from the FM website (sorry, but the table formatting will not translate). The key to your issue, appears to be the way you're interpreting the CWP connections. Per the note at the bottom, I doubt you'd ever run into an issue. But, I'm only going by my interpretation of this info, not by any experience on my part. You may want an answer from a more seasoned mind.

Type of clients Tested Theoretical Tested Theoretical

FileMaker Pro 250 250 250 999

Custom Web Publishing (CWP)* 100 100 100 100

IWP N/A N/A 100 100

ODBC/JDBC N/A N/A 50 50

[color:red]* Multiple users can share a single CWP connection. CWP Connections are based on simultaneous request events,rather than persistent connections.

Edited by Guest
Correction

Did you also consider how much bandwidth you will require to service this many connections. ADSL connections have much smaller upload speeds than their download - will you have enough to service this many users?

We have a full T1, but that will not matter if more than 100 people try to access at once, since the limit is 100.

Is there a better solution for a large connection group?

I doubt we would ever reach that limit but on the chance that the economy gets worse and more and more people are allowed to work from home it could become a reality.

(a little background: I inherited the FM system, and for a lack of better terms I guess I fall into the In-House developer group. I am trying to learn all I can about FM. Most of the time I develop stuff for my family and friends so I can learn more and more. But I see us using FM more and more at the office, so I want to be prepared when a problem arises)

Thanks,

Jim

T1 speeds vary from 1.5 to 10 Mb/s - If you have 1.5 then this will fall short, 10 might give you a chance.

Incidentally, if you are proposing a work at home scheme then your FM9 licenses could be installed at home so you could still achieve full functionality - but this will impose even higher demands on your T1.

Have you though about an external hosting service, or even a co-location server?

This topic is 5569 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.