Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Separate out layout from data, FileMaker 8.5?

This topic is 5580 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've just set-up a 10 table system for customers and orders and billing, I did it from scratch all properly relational! I'm now considering separating the "data" from the "interface" as it's going to be shared on a network between 3 users, and it would make backing up and changes to the interface easier. What is the easiest way to do this, without breaking all the scripts and layouts?

I'm using FileMaker 8.5 Advanced.

Thank you experts!

I would start by making 2 copies of the file. Save one for a backup just incase. Rename the second one to interface or something similar. Open the interface file and set up external data source to the date file. Next go to the relational graph in the interface and set all the TO's to the external data source. Next remove the data tables from interface. Test everything.

After this is working remove unnecessary layouts and relationships from the data file. Test again.

Thanks [color:blue]RalphL and [color:blue]mr_vodka, really helpful. Followed your advice on a test and it worked first time, changed all the references in the relationships graph, impressed how simple it was!

At present I have a handful of accounts, I guess I have to make sure the accounts match up in the interface and data file. So what happens if I allow users to add a new account, is it best to look into scripting adding, changing, and removing accounts/passwords?

Edited by Guest

I use at least 3 levels, Developer (me) Full Access, Admin less than full be more than other users, & Users editing. I use scripts to create new users, delete users etc that are only available to Developer & Admin. Users can change their own passwords and log off.

I have used a single password for users in interface which is used when the file is opened when the data file is opened it asks for the user's password and account.

Do you have FileMaker Server, if so you can use External Authentication and the server's account system to control your users. The files itself would have the privilege set and EA account for each type of user you want.

See here for more information.

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/198499

It's going to be a local shared system, no server. I want to track users who are adding and changing data, so I do want each user to have their own account.

It'd be easier if I could just have Me, Supervisor and User, but then there might be several users, logging on as user, and it wouldn't be possible to track their record changes.

Think I'll write a set of scripts to add, change, and remove accounts. Then have a set of sub scripts in the data file, so when an account is changed in the interface, it'll change in the data file - is that the right way to go?

This topic is 5580 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.