trying to create a phone directory in Word 2008

This topic is 5524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Okay, this is it. I've got data in a FMP 9 file that I want to get into a Word 2008 file. I've managed to create a .mer file and import that into Word '08, but can't get more than one record at a time to appear.

The Word file is a booklet with linked text boxes. The idea is to fill these text boxes with the appropriate data, but, alas, no fill. I can preview the merged data, but only one file at a time appears in the text box. Does anyone know how to get the data to all appear in the same text box as opposed to each record appearing in a new doc, a in a mail merge?

I realize that this may be more of a Word 2008 question, and apologize if I've wasted your time, but I'm running out of resources. Any insight would be appreciated.

I guess the only reason I'm trying to do this through Word is that I have more experience with it. I love fmp and would prefer to do it from there, but it's all fairly new and the learning curve is steep. Are there any affordable (ie. free) solutions out there or is this something I'm going to have to wade into?

• 3 weeks later...

It's because Word is defaulting to one record per page as if you were sending letters.

(Like Form View in FM).

You need to tell Word that you want to use Mailing Labels. That way, you get you will get more that one address per page.

You will have to specify a label size that suits you (just one column). Otherwise you will get records side by side, in columns, like pages of labels usually are.

When you have just one column, and just one label in that column, you will have something like List View in FM.

This topic is 5524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.