Information structure FMP4 to v8

This topic is 5549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Notice I didn't say data structure ;-)

I'm in the laborious process of changing my ten year old FMP4 business system into an FMP8 version. I have a conceptual question about the merits of consolidating my data. I currently have separate files for " COMPANIES " that include both clients and vendors distinguished almost entirely by having either a client key field populated or a vendor key field populated or both. Client orders naturally are related via the client key ad purchase orders via the vendor key. I also have a " VENUE " file with a venue key field of course to relate the site of the show ( we provide production services to concerts and meetings ) or delivery in the case of a rental. Another " PEOPLE " file relates to both of these files.

In the course of converting separate files to tables within a single database it occurs to me that it would be beneficial to consolidate the venues data in to the companies data since we often have clients that are also venues and it would reduce that much data entry. Each company record would then have client, vendor and venue key fields and those fields would be populated based on the type of entity that record represented.

My question is rooted in my ignorance of the ramifications of the new structure of FMP 8 . Should I go for every such short cut that FMP 8 affords or are there drawbacks to too much of a seemingly good thing?

Sorry if this is not the right section for this question. It's my second post.

It's generally desirable to avoid duplication of data. You can consolidate your data but I'd think about staying with a single primary key and then from there you can relate to tables that are specific to client, company, or vendor.

Or you can use a "type" field and include that in your relationships. Remember, since version 7 you can use multiple criteria in a relationship.

PS: if you're going to update, go to 10!

This topic is 5549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.