Urgent - again same problem

crnaovca

This topic is 5520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Some time ago I had problem with one filemaker program I have made. I have solved problem so I did it from scratch. But now again, same problem. Records are disappearing. I enter something in program, check few hours later and there is nothing entered ... how is that possible? What the hell ;) I am doing wrong.

La rhetta checked my program and said it is ok ... I removed all "allow deletion " in relationships ...

But problem is not only in portals, if I check records in other layout that displays records from that table, they are gone???

Help me, I am going crazy.

Things to check:

1.You're working somehow in a read-only file.

2.You're "adding" records in Find mode.

3. There are other copies of these files and your references are crossed, so that you think you're adding to one file, but really you're adding to another.

4. Scripts are running that do cascading deletes.

5. Records aren't gone, you're in a found set.

ahaaa ... that is not a problem ;) they know how to use it.

I am sending it to pvt, it is in croatian, it is a program for veterinarian ... data is missing from table "bjesnoca" and "chpl" ... well, problem is with all portals and I don't know why ... last year I had same problem, data just started to be deleted, and couldn't stop it ...

Btw, I just read your other posts, and it seems that you had used a gtrr step which resulted in a found set. Also, Fenton mentions some suspicious relationships with cascading deletes.

...it is in croatian, it is a program for veterinarian ... data is missing from table "bjesnoca" and "chpl" ...

I think ( but ONLY a think due to your language ) that the problem lies on your opener script that seems to open two windows.

Try to disable it.

BTW: I created 2 new record, one in 'biesnoca' and the other in 'chp|cvr' by entering data into portals of layout 'Ljubimci'... and they are still there.

@bcooney - give me some mail and I will send you the file, I don't know how else to post it here

Yes, fenton did warn me about relations with cascading deletions, I don't have it now, Deletion is disabled in whole database. I did post with question on how to do it different than gtrr but didn't get an answer. Also, when I try to find record manually on layout where only records from that table are presented, I cannot find them.

@raybaudi - customer wanted that I display all people that have alarm entered. How to do it then? Because there are 2 different searched that must be made when openning file. Why do you think it is a problem?

I can presume why is it a problem. When I also enter those data in program they are also there, but when working in file for few hours, some data you can find, some you cannot. I cannot find a pattern. It seems like an integrity problem, but this is second time it happens with same person, and whole programis made from scrath.

Whole program consists of mostly 3 layouts, first layout is Owners (Vlasnici), in that layout, you have one portal with names of pets, when you click on arrows, you are on layout Pets (Ljubimci) where you have to the right big portal with records from layout Visits (Kartoni).

Also in Pets you have 2 small portals, one is Raibies (bjesnoca) and CHPL/CVR

When you look at the records of bjesnoca, people say to me that they entered something under Pet with ID of 623 and 578. For 5 years that pets get their shots, and now all records of them is deleted. (name od the field PetID=idljubimca).

for example, pet with ID 578 had records on dates (it is entered with Visit on the right of Pets), 10.3.2005, 29.3.2006,12.2.2007,28.2.2008, and now there is nothing ...

Let's dive into the data itself a bit. Do this ...

Create a new layout based upon bjesnoca. Place all fields on the layout and make it a table layout. Do you see anything strange? I do. The ID should be (when unsorted) in sequence and they are not. Also, there are 454 records dated in year 1899 but with NO detail information whatsoever. You also have seven BLANK IDs.

Now if you create a table layout for chplcvr, you will find the same convolution for the IDs. I would suspect that you imported into new clone and 1) didn't unsort first and possibly 2) didn't show all records first; in which case not all records were imported into the new version.

I would make a few suggestions: 1) name your IDs clearly with name then ID at the end - never just ID. For example: pk_chplcvrID or pk_bjesnocaID, 2) go back to prior backup from before your last migration (you DO keep them all, right?) and see if you can find that missing data. It may be lost because of your cascading deletes but it might be there. :wink2:

LaRetta

Now I am lost :) and thank you, first time I have a solution to this problem.

So you are saying that my relationship owner to pets just based on ID that should be unique is not ok?

That data is also not in backup. I have looked everywhere. I just want to stop loosing data somehow, I will find data in real files and enter it manually ...

I see that some data are with wrong date and don't know how to repair it. Also, how to repair IDs that are not going ascending? Didn't quite understand ... So what is a problem in the end? Please lead me step by step ... :;)) please ...

When you have an auto-enter serial on a table, the IDs will be in numeric (ascending) sequence (unsorted). Yours are not - they jump up and down in number!!!! This is not possible unless you have done something manually to either 1) overwrite those unique IDs periodically or 2) imported improperly. I cannot (nor can anyone) say what you have done to cause it; only YOU can answer that question.

If you do the same with your other tables (create table layout and place all fields), you will see that THEIR IDs are in perfect sequence (when unsorted). Now ... if you place your cursor in the ID field on bjesnoca layout and then hit CTRL-I (to bring up the index on that field), you will see two things: You have NO IDs prior to 663 and more strikingly, you have a huge gap between ID 8024 and your very next ID is 10000. If a User had accidentally deleted a found set, the odds are that it wouldn't have ended on exactly 10,000. I think you (or someone) changed the auto-enter serial to 10,000 and you did it between 4/14/2008 and 4/18/2008. Why those dates? Look at the dates where that break in number exists.

If your existing IDs were at 10322 and you re-specify them (in auto-enter) to start at 10000 then you will OVERWRITE information on those records with new information. If you do not understand what I am talking about, I suggest you re-read both threads you've been given on this subject and stop designing until you DO understand!

And it means you must re-match and re-create a lot of your data and make sure it matches perfectly before continuing. And then leave your unique IDs alone.

OK, that will explain why data is missing, from before. But why does data miss now? I recreated those data I could find few months ago, and it worked until now, but lately, when something is entered, it disappeares.

I know is data missing in past, but why does it miss now, few days ago. How can I say what record is gone when data is completely gone.

Everything was ok, but before I had problem that wile working in program, data is missing on the fly. Never found out why. Now, same program but data is starting to miss from different table.

also, after I did import data I managed to salvage from program, I started all indexes from 10000 becuase as I find data I entered it in program and I am sure that there are no data with index 10000. this is my only project ever in Filemaker. I have same thing in mysql and PHP as front end and it works fine, so when I discovered Filemaker, i did it in fm and gave it to my friend. and everything worked fine until last year ... when program was damaged and they didn't hav any backup so I salvaged what I could.

What Version are you/your clients running?

I had issues with FMpro 8v1 I think, it caused an Indexing issue that prevented finds from working right and records disappear. Re-Indexing fields or preforming a recovery would bring all the data back (it was always there just not seen). I only mention this because just one client on my network running this version gave me fits for months. (Might even write a script to prevent older versions from running the file.)

Edited by Guest

First, get your clients to update to the lastest patch for the ver. they are running...

Then right an opener script to prevent them from using anything else (or the next time someone gets a new computer, the problem will come back.)

Recovery should reindex the fields although they can be re-indexed by turning indexing off on each field, closing the field defintions, and reopening them, and then turning back on the indexing.

If this does not "bring back" the data, it may be lost. In any case, this file sounds like it may be corrupted and you should go back to an older copy if possible.

(This does not mean that there isn't somthing else wrong here.)

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.