Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multi files into one

This topic is 5518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok. Still struggling with this issue. I have an application with 7 individual related files. I want to combine them into one db with 7 tables. My plan is to create the new db with 7 tables, create the relationships by hand and tweak as necessary. What I need is help with carrying stuff over. I know I can import the data from the individua files into each of the tables. I know how to set up the relationships by hand. How can I copy all the filed definitions over from file a into table a in the new db. Also can I copy each of the screen layouts easily. Those two things I need help with. Anyone?

Mike

P.S. When I get started I'll likely come up with more questions. But for now it's those two things. Thanks

I've done this several times and in my experience I found that you'll be able to import each of the individual tables in to your new DB simply by going to Manage Databases->Tables and click on the import button. This will bring over your tables and field definitions. However, any formulas that rely on other tables will need to be reset. Usually, FM comments out the formula rather than deletes them. You can do the same thing with your scripts as well.

Once you have all your tables and relationships set you can copy your layouts by Copying from the old and pasting to the new. Again, you may need to reset the fields. FM will show the fields that are not picking up the relationship.

I would suggest you print out the fields in all your layouts as well as all your scripts and formulas. Since some of it will be lost in translation. Usually you'll find things like 'Get(Function Missing)' or 'GoTo Layout(File Missing).' So that's why you need to make sure you can look at what was to restore on the other side.

The data transfer and copy and paste is smooth, but, getting everything to work again will be time consuming.

If you have scripts, it is best to create blank layouts first, named exactly the same as the old ones. Then Import your scripts; so the scripts will have the layouts they need. Then copy/paste the layout contents from the old file. That way buttons running scripts will hopefully find their respective script.

When you say you can do the same with scripts, does that mean a similar type of import of all scripts at once? When you say copy and paste layouts, does that mean each one individually, one at a time? Thanks for all your help.

Mike

Yes, you go to scriptmaker and click the import icon then chose the file where the script(s) are contained. You can then check off the scripts you want and import them in to your new db. You'll want to bring in all your tables and create your layouts and relationships first, otherwise, you'll get a lot of errors. That's why I suggest you print the scripts as well.

As far as the layouts are concerned you must bring in each layout one at a time. Slower than imported, but, a lot faster than recreating all of them. :

hth

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm working on this for a while now. As you folks indicated, it's not simple, but it's happening. One thing I came up with are value lists. Is there any way to copy the value lists into the new database from the old files? Thanks.

Mike

This topic is 5518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.