Multi user printing issue?

El_Pablo

This topic is 5535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I having trouble to setup the printing options on one of my solution.

In a script, I set up the right printer, but when someone else in the office use the script, FM doesn't send the printing job to the right printer. Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

I was thinking of saving everything in a PDF and print the file via command line, but I couldn't fine a way to change the paper size.

Thanx for any help!

Yes I did. It's making me crazy.

I even created a "printSetup (isColor|isLanscape|isLetter)" script.

I attached a print screen of my script. The variables and comment are in french.

couleur :B color

paysage : landscape

lettre : letter

The clients are on the same network and there are two ip printers.

sshot-29.jpg

Your script is fine, but a bit complex for troubleshooting purposes. Without FMA or Show Dialogs, you won't know from a clients workstation, if they are falling into the correct Else If.

I'd create a simple print script for the purpose of seeing if you can script a print, restoring a print setup and printer correctly.

I've read on FMKB that long printer paths (>30 charac) were a known problem.

Try a simple Print script and see if that works. That'll narrow down some of the variables.

Then, add a Show Dialog under one of the ElseIfs. Click the button that should call that ElseIf and see if the dialog shows. At least then you know that your variables, etc. are working.

I do have FMPA. When script is called, it goes in the right if. The problem is the printer selection.

BTW : Why I can not subscribe to my own post? Before there was an "Instant email" I don't see it anymore.

On each computer using the script, I reconfigured the "print setup" and "print" step. It's the only way we found.

2 printers (1 color, 1 B/W) x 2 paper size (lettre, legal) x 2 orientation = 8 possibilities for the script.

I'm lucky that there are only two computers that print documents. Imagine 10 or 50 computers...

Wow. How can that be? Are printer setups stored with the application or OS and not the file? That's not my understanding, but would be my first idea as to why you needed to be at each workstation.

Has anyone setup a multi-user, multi-printer with restore script in FM10 successfully?

I guess that the printers identification are set in the OS. And not everyone has the same set of printers added at the same time.

I'm not sure but I think the OS identify each printer uniquely on each station.

Example :

I have an Adobe PDF printer identified as p0 in the OS.

I add an HP IP printer on my computer, which the OS identified as p1.

I add a second printer which is a brother. The OS identified it as p2.

I install the same printers on a second computer, but in reverse order. The OS will give a new identification to the printers.

OS identification is not the one the user use it's an automated given value. It's the same as primary keys in tables.

If that's correct, I think FM "Print" and "Print Setup" use the OS identifications and not the user printer names. So that's why all the printers are mixed up when calling the scripts from different computers.

Maybe someone can tell me if my explanation is right.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 5535 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.