Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import Error with XML File

Chuck

This topic is 5448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script that downloads, via FTP using the SmartPill PHP plugin, a set of XML files. I've written an XSLT stylesheet to transform this into the FMPXMLRESULT XML that FileMaker expects when importing an XML file. If I have downloaded the file and import it manually it works. If I have the SmartPill PHP plugin download the file (saving it to /private/tmp/ on Mac OS X Leopard with FileMaker 10, BTW), it imports successfully. However, when I try to import the file within a script, the Import script step gives the following error: "XML Parsing error: An exception occured! Type:SMLPlatformException, Message, Could not open file: filemac:/Half Dome/private/tmp/3660.xml, Line Number: 0, Column Number: 0"

Again, going to the exact same file manually and importing it and using the exact same XSLT stylesheet is successful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this seems to be a first. No one knows anything? :( Perhaps some additional information will help.

First of all, the file path of the Import Records script step is set via a variable.

Second, if I create a different script an include an Import Records step and manually select the file rather than have it be set with a variable, no error occurs. It imports successfully.

Given those two facts, I may simply download via FTP, name the file to some known name, and see if that works, but it seems like a workaround rather than a solution.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chuck

I have come across the same problem and noticed something after scratching my head for a day that will hopefully shed some light.

I use plug-in for listing files in folder and then processing each XML file contained.

If I write script that specifies "File" to be used and prompt for comfirmation - rather than no prompt - and select a file, then it applies XSLT and imports data.

However, if I specify the field via "Calculation" then it doesn't. It appears to expect a HTTP Request from that Calculation and not just text, although it says that the calculation is either HTTP Request or File.

I have written many scripts to check the file exists and it is the same path as a manually selected file, so I can only surmise either:

1. Undocumented (or missed documentation) syntax for Calculation for file

2. There's a bug in there.

Please can someone help. I'm stuck otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem there, a happy note saying

XML-Parsing-Error: An exeption occured! Type:XMLPlatformException, Message:Could not Open File "POST HTTP://..."

LineNumber 0

Column Number 0

but as you see from the Message, I'm trying to use it with a HTTP-Request (which is tested and working!) and I'm not using any Plug-Ins (I'm against it :) )

But Filemaker doesn't even try to connect to the Server provided in the HTTP-Request.

Has anyone ever had success with such a HTTP-Request?? Or am I getting something completely wrong?

(I am trying to send a SOAP-(HTML)-Request to a webservice from which the response is transformed with a existing xslt and imported to FM)

Oh.... It would have been too nice... I was already suspicious, because I've never read about somebody interacting between FM and SOAP like this, now I know why...

But a local php will help.

I'd say to call that field "HTTP-Request" is a bit exaggerated by our dear friends @ FileMaker's :)

But thank's Comment you've helped me saving a lot of time!!

Well it IS a HTPP request - one kind out of many. Mind you, I don't KNOW for sure that it cannot take a POST request - but if it does, I haven't been able to figure out in what form. These things are completely undocumented.

I suggest you submit a feature request to FMI. They have neglected the XML aspect ever since it came out, and the more people complain about this, the higher priority it will get:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board?board.id=fdbk2

This topic is 5448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.