buton in a portal

stanley

This topic is 8117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got multiple portals which relate to a scheduling database. Each portal shows what is scheduled to be printed on what day. This much works fine. If you change the date or any other data in the portal item, the change is reflected. However, what I'd like to do is put buttons in that allow the user to click a "+" or "-" to move the item forward or backward by a day. Unfortunately, once a button is clicked, it somehow locks itself to the record first modified, even if that record is now in another portal! What have I done wrong?

thanks,

Stanley

If i understand what you doing right....

make the portal that is related on of the date and then have a date field in the master DB. then create you buttons that just take a day off the date in the master (using scripts,which might be harder then it seems). Then the contents of portal SHOULD change.

hope this helps

Could you describe the portal, relationship, and exact location of the buttons a little more clearly?

Does clicking the + or - move the record to a different portal, or just up or down within the portal (sorted by date, I assume?). Either way, it can work, I just need more info to help.

If you're changing the data in the key field (that is, the field on which the relationship is based), then you're breaking the relationship, which is why I never put the key field in the portal; it's just inviting disaster.

It seems to me that you need two different relationships, so that you can change the key field from one relationship in the other relationship's portal.

HTH,

Dan

That was it.

The date was they key, and the date is what was being changed. I've got it working now.

thanks

Stanley

This topic is 8117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.