How Layouts show records from Table Occurrences

jageo

This topic is 5449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to display in a list view layout a restricted number of records without having to do a find first?

For example (attached) I have one base table called Data, and for the sake of simplicity it has one field, an ID field. There's 20 records, and they range from 1 to 20. And there's a global field called g_Ten, with the value "10"

I have a table occurrence called AllData and a table occurrence called LowData. It's a self-join and the relationship graph I have the equation LowData:ID < AllData:g_Ten

Layout 1 shows records from AllData. Layout 2 is set to show records from LowData. I expected that this would mean Layout 2 would only show me records with ID values from 1 to 9, but instead is shows me all 20 records.

Can someone explain how to get this desired result? I don't want to use portals in this particular solution. I'd rather not have to do a find first and then go to Layout 2. But if that is the proper solution I will follow it.

If it helps to understand the issue here's the real purpose for the question. I have a database watching project progress through a system. It has a Status field, and as a certain task is completed the Status is changed to a higher number. I wish to have a layout that shows, in list form the projects with status 1, a layout for status 2 etc. I don't want to use the same layout and do a simple find because users need to see different things about the project as it goes from one phase to the next.

many thanks,

JA

No. Layouts are based on the underlying table occurrence, not found records. You can have a button script the entire process.

If you upgrade to FMP10, you can use script triggers to perform the find for you when you enter a particular layout.

This topic is 5449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.