List of particular Layouts

This topic is 5472 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to create a list of layouts, but not all of my layouts. I'm sure this is relatively simple, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Let's say I have Layout A through Layout Z, but I just want to pull Layouts between B and F.

I know that I can use LayoutNames(Get(Filename)) to create a list of all of them, but how could I use the text functions to pull what I want?

Thank you.

This is a recursive calculation, so you will need a custom function - perhaps something like:

ValuesStartingWith ( listOfValues ; startChar ; endChar )

Let ( [

item = GetValue ( listOfValues ; 1 ) ;

char = Left ( item ; 1 ) ;

countValues = ValueCount ( listOfValues ) 

] ;

Case ( startChar ≤ char and char ≤ endChar ; item & ¶ )

&

Case ( countValues > 1 ; ValuesStartingWith ( RightValues ( listOfValues ; countValues -1 ) ; startChar ; endChar ) )

)

ok, I got it to work. Here is exactly what I did. I deleted the space before the word "and" and the space after the word "and", then I typed those two spaces back in manually. So seems to me there was some hidden characters/formatting when I cut and pasted that messed it up. That is over my head, but it's what worked.

This is a different situation, since now you want values between "LayoutB" and "LayoutF", not between B and F.

However, it's easy to generalize the function, so try:

ValuesInRange ( listOfValues ; lowLimit ; highLimit )

Let ( [

item = GetValue ( listOfValues ; 1 ) ;

countValues = ValueCount ( listOfValues ) 

] ;

Case ( lowLimit ≤ item and item ≤ highLimit ; item & ¶ )

&

Case ( countValues > 1 ; ValuesInRange ( RightValues ( listOfValues ; countValues -1 ) ; lowLimit ; highLimit ) )

)

oh! I just realized what the computer is doing, though I still don't know how to fix it. It is giving me the layouts that are in between the 2 alphabetically. I don't organize my layouts alphabetically. I apparently chose a poor example and miscommunicated my intent.

Here is another example. If I have the following layouts:

Splash Screen

Background

Insurance

Accounts

Clinical Findings

Recommendations

Settings

How do I get the computer to give me this list by telling it my list starts after "Splash Screen" and Ends before "Settings":

Insurance

Accounts

Clinical Findings

Recommendations

Edited by Guest

I have over 100 layouts in my solution. Among those layouts is a list of about 20 different clinical tests, each with its own layout for data entry. I group those layouts together. Every time I add a new test to my research, I wanted my field that lists the available tests to automatically update based on the name of the layout.

I found a custom function called GetIndex, and this ended up meeting my needs:

MiddleValues ( LayoutNames(Get(FileName)) ; GetIndex(LayoutNames(Get(FileName));"TestListStart")+1; GetIndex(LayoutNames(Get(FileName));"TestListEnd")-GetIndex(LayoutNames(Get(FileName));"TestListStart")-1)

Oh, so that's what you wanted (I haven't seen your edit earlier). This could be done quite simply as:

Let ( [

start = Position ( ¶ & listOfValues & ¶ ; ¶ & startValue & ¶ ; 1 ; 1 ) ;

end = Position ( ¶ & listOfValues & ¶ ; ¶ & endValue & ¶ ; start ; 1 ) + Length ( endValue ) 

] ;

Middle ( listOfValues ; start ; end - start )

)

I still think your real issue is elsewhere.

Please tell me more about my issues. Should I be using a different structure? I don't add tests often (about 2 a year), and I use the same tests over and over. I put each test in a different table because each is so incredibly diverse and within each tests, I use very different formulas for calculating standard scores and interpretations of those tests. I don't see it practical to have a single table with each record representing a different test because there are so many different things I would do with each test.

I have practically no information regarding what your tests are, but it sounds like you have a field for every parameter. I would have a table of tests, and another table for the test parameters, where each parameter would be a record. A third table would be used for the actual values and statistics.

This is just the basics - it gets more complex depending on what/who you're testing, how often, etc. But the idea is to have a discrete record for each recorded value. This is the only way results can be be analyzed by any chosen criteria with no restrictions.

OK, then. I just wanted to point out that the 100+ layouts, the current issue, and the fact that you need to put on your developer hat to do things that should be entirely in the province of the user - these are all just symptoms of a structural issue. But if it works...

Hi Comment,

Would you mind exanding on the structure you suggested?

Test table

Results table

Analysis Table?

How would a results table allow for the programmer to define analysis for different tests? (Table names just a guess towards your structure suggestion?)

Thanks

Mike

Would you mind exanding on the structure you suggested?

Rather difficult to do without a mission statement. My point here was that when you have a separate record for each result, you can easily produce a report by any criteria (e.g. patients with low cholesterol and high blood pressure, grouped by ethnicity). Do a search for "survey" for more examples.

This topic is 5472 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.