Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Make a very small server

This topic is 5449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys,

I don't know if I should post this topic here but what the heck...

I just start working with Filemaker Pro Advanced and I'm making my first database. Let me explain the issue:

I'm making a very simple database for orders but I want to use 2 Mac's so people won't have to wait very long to add an order.

So I want my database to run on a mac and that the other 2 users can access them with a password and login.

Can you help ;)?

Thanks

What you are looking for seems to be what is called Peer to peer setup. There are numerous posts on here regarding the possible issues with P2P setup.

The first one to open the files becomes the 'Host'. The others will connect using 'Remote Open' and become clients.

A strong recommendation is that the same computer opens the files and stays as the host consistently.

A better option is to get FileMaker server on a dedicated server. It allows for a more stable environment as well as scheduled backups, server side scripted process, etc.

You may also want to consider a hosting provider like ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We offer anything from shared hosting accounts to virtual and dedicated hardware servers. We provide FileMaker Server Advanced on all our shared accounts, which is a much better option to use for hosting your databases than FileMaker Pro peer-to-peer sharing.

Feel free to contact me here or off-list at jmay(at)pointinspace.com with any questions you may have.

- John

• 1 month later...

http://worldcloud.com can provide you a dedicated FileMaker Server 10 Advanced platform on 30 day free trial - that way it is on the public internet with dedicated ip and accessible by all - easier than trying to do it in-house - always connected at 1Gbps with no surcharge for bandwidth -

This topic is 5449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.