Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calc needed to limit record creation

This topic is 5472 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This one's a little tricky and I'm sure there's an elegant, simple solution that I'm overlooking.

I want to limit the number of records a user can create in a runtime demo file to say, five records. I also want to leave the Status Area available since it'd save time/coding for such a simple project.

So far, I have a Summary field ("record_count") that will count the number of records in the Master table. What I figure is that a calculation can be created using that field: if its count exceeds five records then the user is flashed a Custom Dialog message saying that he or she has reached the five-record limit and cannot create any more records.

...and therein lies the problem: With the Status Area available, all a user has to do is click the New Record button and a new record is created. So, is there a way to prevent the user from creating that sixth record or am I really stuck with hiding the Status Area and scripting a button?

TIA for your help,

Rich

Rats! In Custom Records Privileges you can insert a formula for editing records using "Custom...", but not creating them (per table): you can only choose Yes or No.

Yet another suggestion for the FileMaker Wish List. :S

*heavy sigh* Well, I guess it's Button City time.

If you use custom menu sets, then the New Record script tied to the New Record command and button in the status area will use your New Record script which is limiting to a record count.

I would point out that the more records they create, the more they want to purchase the full version. How about another limit? Export, print?

This topic is 5472 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.