Server Maintenance This Week. ×

synchronize tables from A to B database or import them

This topic is 5258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I have two FileMaker V10 databases that are similar in table structure.

Database A and B.

I like to synchronize tables in Database A to B.

Is there a way to automate the synchronization?

If not, I setup the Import script that upon the execution it asks the users for login name and password.

Can I save the username and password within the script so it does not ask the users?

Thanks in advance,

A

Is this a one-off synchronization, or something that will happen regularly?

The trick to any database synchronization is working out what the rules are. Which record gets kept and which gets deleted. Which fields get updated and which do not.

Say a record in A gets updated on Monday, but the same record in B gets deleted on Tuesday. What should the synchronization process do?

Imports are easy to do but they aren't a synchronization in any sense of the word. Usually the imported data over-writes the existing data.

You should be able to use an Update matching records in found set (add remaining) if there is a primary key that matches in both files.

As for your login issue, if you open the first file that has the same credentials in the second file, then they will not have to log in for the second file.

Also, you might want to keep in mind:

1) Always Show All Records from file B when beginning the import and 2) If File B should always be a perfect match to File A then you will want to add another step after your import.

After you import (using Update and Add to) you will end up with a found set of File B records which are in File A. Any records in File B which are NOT in this found set, have been deleted from File A, right? So, if File B should match perfectly, you will then want to:

Show Ommitted Only

Delete All Records[]

This will delete any records in B which have already been deleted in A.

I already have a script doing exactly as you wrote in your respond, but what I’m trying to avoid is prompting users for user logging name and password.

Meaning, hard-coding the user name and password in the Import script to avoid users from getting prompt for the authentication.

A

Hi mr_vodka,

As for the login issue:

“As for your login issue, if you open the first file that has the same credentials in the second file, then they will not have to log in for the second file.”

I tried your suggestion, but still asking for login name and password

The accounts have to be set up with *exactly* the same username and password in both files. (The privileges can be different.)

• 6 months later...

I realize I'm resurrecting a 6 month old thread but the original poster never indicated he was able to resolve the issue. I'm also migrate data between two copies of essentially the same database (one has newer schema so I want to bring data from the old one into the new one) and the sequential import steps for each table are continuously prompting for authentication even though I can absolutely guarentee that the target database is authenticated with the exact same username and password found in the import source database.

Is there any simple method of bringing data from all tables in one database into a similar copy of the same database via import without endless authentication prompts? The target database will be clear of any data before the import, fyi.

FileMaker certainly doesn't seem to have very many features to allow for commercially distributed solution to be easily updated if a vendor updates the schema and wants to roll out a new version of a database to clients.

Thanks

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.