Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value list from a field in an ODBC-derived table

This topic is 5460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to create a drop down list of organization names obtained from a field in a table hosted on an Oracle server. Making the ODBC link to the Oracle server is no problem and I can then see the entire table and all its fields in FMP. Using the x relational operator I can then create a portal showing all the organization names in FMP. However, when I try to "Use values from Field:" when creating the value list, the "Specify field" button grays out the ODBC-linked Organization table so I can't select the field I need.

Is there a way to make a live duplicate of the ODBC-linked table in FMP so the necessary field will be selectable for a value list? Alternatively, having gotten the Organization Name field into a portal, is there a way to use that for my value list? Is there another option to get a value list from a field in an ODBC-linked table?

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Colin

You can use an import to perform a SQL import into a table. In FM10, value lists based off ESS tables are allowed.

Please update your profile with your correct version. It can be done under the FileMaker Question section of your account settings.

I could import the table from Oracle into FMP, but the data would be frozen to the import date. I need the value list to change as the data in the Organization field in the Oracle database changes.

Sadly, upgrading to FMP 10 is not an option at this point for financial reasons.

This topic is 5460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.