Devcon Cost Justifiable?

This topic is 5280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I haven't seen much about the Devcon from this forum and wanted to find out if its worth the money to go. Given I am in Sacramento and its a 1.5 drive but curious if I being somewhat new to FM if I will benefit enough to justify the cost.

Well it depends on how you define "just cost" I guess.

There may be some interesting sessions and workshops and then there are ones that you may not like. Some of the sessions are for beginners and others are for the more advanced. Then there are ones that I feel are mislabeled.

Multiple sessions take place during the same time and you have to pick and choose which one you want to go to even in situations where you want to attend both. :

The best part of DevCon is meeting other developers and swapping ideas, techniques, war stories, or just BS.

This year DevCon is moving away from the resort style venue that it taken place at for the past few years. Although there will be more options to go out for food, entertainment, etc at San Fran, one of the things that I think we will miss out this year in this new format is being "stuck" at the location so it was almost a forced social atmosphere... I thought that was a good thing as newcomers could meet others more relaxed. With all that being said, I dont think I would use it as a hindrance.

I think that you may enjoy it and considering the cost being lower since you can drive there, it may be an attraction...

A somewhat open-ended question, but my take is how well a mingler/lobbyist you are for your own discourse - the skill level required was when I attended a bit on the meagre side, which very well could have been risen since i went?

I have decided that it's not something I would do, because my self promotion not would need it sufficiently, and because the idea of burning my candle in both ends - is not something I this day of age feel inclined to.

--sd

I understand the class scheduling and realized a couple classes I could use are run at the same time. But it just seems like a luxury more than a necessity based on everything (which is little) that I have read from attendees.

I just don't see the cost justification to attended. Well at least so far. If they are really worth attending i think I would see a lot more feedback on them not just from this forum but in general. Even living a drive away still seems a little steep. I am open to hear others thoughts on this though.

Well there were a few first timers (fmforums members) last year that I met up with at DevCon. Hopefully they will chime in.

• 1 month later...

This one will be the least expensive to try for you probably for a while since you dont have to fly / lodge. If you go, you can make a better decision for subsequent years when it will cost you even more. I will have around $2500 of expenses into it for this year. Last year was my first year. I learned a lot and have been excited for a while to go to this one. I too think it was better being locked at a resort rather then plunked into the middle of a city. I think the networking / informal learning will be lacking as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

There. A list of sessions is already out. You can scan them to see what you might find interesting. Besides the workshops where they ask you to sign up, most of the sessions you can walk in and out of just like college courses. :

• 3 months later...

This topic is 5280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.