Runtime size 169 MB?

This topic is 5421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Is it normal that the total size of my runtime solution is 169 MB? There's only a single 28 fields table in it!

What can I delete without corrupting the file?

That's an even bigger leap than previous sizes.

I remember when FM6 produced around 20Mb. Seems to be growing exponentially with each FM version.

I remember when FM6 produced around 20Mb. Seems to be growing exponentially with each FM version.

Yeah, I can remember when the application would fit on one 820K Floppy, and the Data on a Second Floppy. I can remember when a 10 MBs Hard Drive was HUGE! LOL

I'm in the middle of digitizing our home videos, and photographs, and have already filled up two 1 Terabytes drives, and I'm working on a third one now.

Given the size of the FileMaker application now, 318 MBs, it seem reasonable to me that the Runtime engine would be around the 169 MB.

Lee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Hi Nick.

I found the following information helpful for reducing the size of runtime applications. By removing languages that you don't plan to use, it reduces the size of your final application. Of course it only works if you are NOT using multiple languages in your runtime application.

I use only the US English language in a runtime application and my final size is 71.2 mb. Using a freeware application called Excelsior Installer 1.7 for Windows, my final installer file is reduced to 13.5mb. The compressed Mac file is 26.5mb - will continue my search to see if I can get this smaller. My database has 15 tables with 542 fields.

Here is the info:

To reduce the size of your solution in Windows:

1. Open the Extensions folder that is copied to the runtime solution folder.

2. Delete language resource folders for languages not supported by your solution.

Important Do not delete the language resource folder for English.

3. Open the Dictionaries folder.

4. Delete dictionaries for languages not supported by your solution.

To reduce the size of your solution in Mac OS X:

1. Open the Extensions folder that is copied to the runtime solution folder.

2. Open the Dictionaries folder.

3. Delete dictionaries for languages not supported by your solution.

4. Control-click the runtime application package and choose Show Package Contents.

5. Locate the Resources folder in the Contents folder.

6. Delete language resource folders (*.lproj) for languages not supported by your solution.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

This topic is 5421 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.