Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Wasting my time?

This topic is 5435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I've been a voyeur on here now for a while and have learned some pretty invaluable lessons from you clever folk.

I'm a total FM newbie but decided to try and teach myself it in order to replace my companies aging and unsupportable mysql/html database system.

Last week I suffered a non recoverable data corruption (Something to do with the permissions been tampered with?) on the DB which made me return to the previous back up. I created a 'clean' file and started again, copying and pasting layouts etc and imported the tables/scripts etc. This made me very nervous and therefore I started to create a backup every hour.

Ive come in today and the last 6 backups on Friday are all corrupt. The file was working fine when open but something happened just before lunch that broke the saved file. Luckily this time the file could be recovered.

I am very concerned that FM doesn't seem to be very stable. The file only has about 20 scripts and the same number of layouts and this is now the second time the files corrupted. The most worrying thing is that the file corrupts 'silently'. If I introduced the system this means that days/months worth of current jobs/invoices/orders etc could be lost due to the file corrupting silently and thus all the backup been corrupt too.

Could I have some script/layout/data field etc in the DB which is causing the corruption. The log doesnt tell me a right lot.

The FM DB looks very nice to the eye and works as I would have hoped so far but I am so scared of implementation with so much possible corruption.

I think I will re-install Filemaker and try again.

Is there a best practice for creating a New DB after corruption? Is it ok to simply copy & Paste then import the data again or will I be just copying over the problems.

Many thanks

A slightly concerned Lee

There are numerous ways to prevent corruption including safe practices, architecture, types of embedded files, and more.

Here are some quick questions...

Do you have FileMaker server on a dedicated machine?

Do you have OS level sharing turned off to the file location?

Do you do a lot of schema changes to the live files?

You can take precautions to minimize the chances of getting file corruption.

Hi Lee, and Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you have a corrupted layout (item).

You mentioned a lot of copying and pasting, which mean you could be pasting in the problem.

I would do a couple of things. If you have access to a different computer, try and open the file on a different computer. If not, you could post a copy here to be tested. I would not post anything that has confidential data, but I'm thinking that it has nothing to do with the data anyway.

The other option would be to create it without any graphics, and test to see what happens.

When moving data from the old file to the new one, export it as text, and then import that.

HTH

Lee

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the response to my 1st post, I just wish it could have been something better than a "Help me I'm new!", but everyone starts somewhere I suppose.

I'm totally at a loss to what it is now. As of 5 mins ago the DB has not corrupted today but FM pro 10 has crashed about ten times. Each time the DB opens back up fine, all be it without the past few minutes changes.

On 2 occasions FM just hangs and uses 100.1% (yes 100.1%?!?) of one of my processor, this then requires force quitting. I've re-installed FM today too but still the same problem. The program can crash at any point too - layout changes or simply browsing the files in makes no difference.

In currently running Mac 10.5.7 with 2 x 2.8ghz quad cord intel xenon procs and 10GB DDR2 Ram.

I recently upgraded to 10.5.7 but unfortunately I only had FM running for 2 days prior so cannot really tell if its down to the OS update.

In response to a few of the questions above (thanks by the way)

Do you have FileMaker server on a dedicated machine? - Yes, I'm only working with FMPro10 on my local machine. I don't have FMserver (yet) or advanced (IT ordered wrong stuff!) so am just creating the DB locally.

Do you have OS level sharing turned off to the file location? Yes - all sharing is turned off as is web access.

Do you do a lot of schema changes to the live files? The DB schema is not really getting changed. The DB does have around 100,000 records but its not really advanced in terms of live schema changes. Plus the DB is purely text, i.e no container fields. The only images I have in the DB is a company logo, button (resized for various layouts) and a left and right banner graphic.

The most dissapointing thing is that I have done in 1 week using FM (with the missing manual) what it took the two guys that left the database over 1/2 years to do in MYSQL. The problem is I dare not implement it when it seems so buggy.

I will remove the graphics and see how it goes I suppose.

Many thanks once again guys

Lee

Yes try removing the graphics. Also patch up to 10.0v2 as the orig release has a known but that leaves threads open and hogged the processor.

The most dissapointing thing is that I have done in 1 week using FM (with the missing manual) what it took the two guys that left the database over 1/2 years to do in MYSQL.

I really should rephrase that as it sounded very arrogant and pig headed, I've basically only copied their work all be it in another program (and I cant even do that right by the looks of it).

Ill try the locate the patch, although I did run the updater and it returned no results.

really should rephrase that as it sounded very arrogant and pig headed, I've basically only copied their work all be it in another program (and I cant even do that right by the looks of it).

Ill try the locate the patch, although I did run the updater and it returned no results.

I won't tell if you don't. :giggle:

If you Go to the Menu under Help, and click on Downloads and Updates, FileMaker will find what you need. From your description though, it sounds like you are up to date.

You can verify this by looking at the Application in the Finder and Get Info.

Lee

Make sure you're NOT using Time Capsule to backup the FMP files. It does not work, the backups will be corrupted.

(FileMaker Pro files cannot be copied while they are open. It's not just a Time Capsule problem it's any backup process that attempts to copy live open FMP database files.)

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the suggestions. Just a little update for people who may experience a similar problem.

I decided to try and work on the original DB for about four hours last night at home on FM via the laptop (Windows XP) rather than my Mac at work.

FM did not crash once nor did the database corrupt itself silently in the background.

I fired up the original file on the Mac this morning and tried working again on the Mac and FM crashed inside 45 mins and has continued to crash every hour since pretty much.

I'm edging towards that the problem lies with the OS and/or setup of my local machine.

I have re-installed FM and it still crashes so it must be something that FM doesn't like with the OS or the OS has a more deep rooted problem.

Unfortunately I cannot re-format and start again just yet as the mac is where I edit video for my employer and I don't fancy a 6 hour install of Final Cut again.

Has anyone else experienced problems with FM pro 10 on 10.5.7 using an Intel mac?

Maybe its a co incidence that the PC didnt crash or maybe it isnt! I'll try again tonight and see how it goes. I do have parrallels Desktop on my Mac which I could use FM on if needs be.

Many thanks, keep up the good work!

Lee

These files are not being served, Correct?

If they are, how are they being served. i.e. peer to peer, server, etc.?

If peer to peer, you are using FileMaker to share, Right, and not the Operating System, Right?

You are not working on the files while they are being accessed by others, Right?

You didn't answer Vaughan question, so are you using Time Machine?

Lee

Edited by Guest

Yes Lee I did, looking like a full re-install this.

One thing I did note today is that the DB crashed when I was running a certain script , very simple one with a set variable using feild in current layout - set field in new layout using the variable name. Tried it 5 times and 5 times it crashed in the same spot.

I opened it on the PC and it worked!!

Rebooted and it then worked on the Mac!

Ive asked for another Mac to trial the DB on, if the problem goes away then it the install on the inital Mac. If it doesnt then it the DB.....seems the only way I can really test it.

Edited by Guest

Okay, I'm out of ideas for now. Let us know the results of your new testing.

You can always upload a copy of the file here, and we can run it our platforms to see what happens.

Lee

BTW, here is my setup.

FileMaker v 7, 8, 8.5, 9 and 10 Developer and Advance Editions.

MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.6 GHz

Edited by Guest

Thanks once again Lee, this really is a great place for a new starter like me.

I may end up posting a copy up on here for someone to have a look at if possible. I will need to remove most of the records though, client confidentiality and all that, but the structure will be the same.

Cheers

Lee

***** Edit ****

I've attached the file now. I have removed all the records and left a few dummy ones. If you create a client , add a contact then add a new job it should work. Its just crashed on me flicking between the layouts.

P.S Please dont laugh at my initial attempt at any database in any program :(-) Only had a manual and 2 weeks to produce it......erm it shows.

Not exactly up to your levels on here but its just an initial DB to see if I can get it to work, some of the buttons wont work and design is all over the place.

If someone could have a quick look then that would be great.

It should autologin in - if not the user is Admin but no password (Default).

Many thanks once again

Lee

Lees_FM_Problem.zip

Edited by Guest

I added a new client.

used the buttons to go to the different TO or Layouts. And nothing froze or crash.

Can you give me a step by step of what you do that makes it crash.

Lee

Thanks for looking & checking it out Lee. The problem is there is no set routine for making it crash on my machine. This morning it crashed just by resizing the window, I honestly now think it is the program rather than the DB. I will try replicate the crash with a different DB which I did not create.

Thanks again

Lee

P.S Sorry for the delay in a response but I'm in the U.K.

I think it is Font related. I noticed that when I click on the Headline or the Merge Field you have at the top, the Font is not showing in the Selection Drop Down Menu.

Try replacing the Font on the Offending Machine with the one on the computer. I see you are using Helvetica, I have had problems with it in the past.

You should verify that the Fonts you are using are installed on the machines. On the Mac, you do this by opening the Font Book.app and selecting them to see if the checkbox is check as being installed.

Lee

Thanks Lee,

The font I actually used is called Latin 725, it is my employers corporate typeface. They requested this font to be used in FM to keep it in line with their "brand identity".

I assume the font is swapping out to helvetica on your machine so it must look even worse than I had imagined :(

I will try replace the font across the layouts to something that is more cross platform and see if that has any effect. I would never have even guessed at the font been the problem, thanks for the pointer.

Lee

Edit...

**** You were right, there is some helvetica in there too. I will change all the fonts to 'arial' and see how it goes.***

Edited by Guest

Lee

FWIW, I just DL'd the file (on to my MacMini, Intel, OSX10.5.7), and navigated around, and resized the windows.

No issues with crashing.

I didn't notice if anyone suggested saving the file as a clone, and seeing if that file crashes.

Also have you tried opening up the starter solutions. Do they also crash for you?

You mentioned that your XP laptop didn't crash using this DB. This really points to a bad install of FMP on the Mac.

Jerry

This topic is 5435 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.