Which Hardware configuration is better for Filemaker Pro Server 5.0

This topic is 8514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We at the company are planning to buy in the next two weeks a new server to run our databases. We actually have an old Powermac 8600 (250 Mhz) with 128 MB and 6GB SCSI HD. The network is a traditional Ethernet 10/100 Base T. We actually have 10 users connected to the server. The server is running very slow after we had to upgrade its system from version 8.0 to version 8.6 in order to run the new filemaker pro 5.0 server.

We actually have about 110 databases, but this number is growing. We know that maximum per server is 150 databases.

Of the following options which is the best selection for our new server, taking into account that the old server will still run with the dtatabases which have the least popularity and use.

1) . 1 X A new PowerMac Server G4 500 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, 36 GB USCSCI II Hard Disc, 1 ethernet 10/100/1000, running appleshare IP 6.3

2) 2 (two units) X New G4 Towers Basic configuration, 30 GB (aprox I do not remeber the actual configuration) ATA 66 HD, with 256 MB Ram, at 450 Mhz.

With this two new G4 we will split the databases within them; We suppose we will have faster access to the data, since are two working machines, 2 hard disc and 2 network connections.

Another question:

I saw that there is a G4 Server that comes with MacOS X which has 4 X Ethernet connection 10/100 Base T.

Can the Filemaker Pro Server 4.0 run over MacOS X and take advance over this 4 continues connections to the local network.

I guess this is not possible, but I want to confirm.

Can the Filemaker Pro run on a machine that also runs Appleshare IP services?

Well I notice this may be too many questions, but I really need advise in order to make the appropiate Server purchase.

Regards

Nice Anatoli, but that wasn't the question! Go invoice Bill. wink.gif

First, you don't want to run FM Server on a machine running AppleShare IP. Don't buy ASIP 6.3 for an additional $1000 unless you want to run a separate file server.

I would probably go with two machines and split the files. You can go SCSI 160 or similar, but there is a faster and cheaper way. We ran for a while on a G3/300 PowerMac 8500 using a RAM disk implemented with RAMBunctious (ran out of RAM). Performace improved about 3x and stability was perfect. No disk drive should be able to compete with a RAM drive. Add adequate RAM, make sure you backup frequently (Scripts and frequent write throughs) and definitely use a good UPS.

The CALTRANS (Calif. Dept. of Transportation) folks presented this approach at the last developers conference. Seems they had so much activity that they fragemented a drive to failure every two days and would wear one out in months!

I don't know how much advantage FM would gain from OS X. I don't think FM has certified under OS X, yet.

Hope this helps. -bd

We have moved over from a Mac G4 500 runing OS9 to a Compaq Deskpro EN running Win2000 Pro serving up DB's on FMserver v5

I have to say that performance from the NT box is much better than the Mac, also the reliability is higher with no crashes to date

The Golden rule with NT is never skimp on RAM. we server 15 DB's accessed by 15 users (mixed platforms)with high levels of data.

• Newbies

Thanks a lot for the help.

On the other sideto Mr. FALLBROOK there is another question.

I buy the two POwerMac G4 basic configuration, add RAM until 256 MB, and also you suggest to have SCSCI HD Drives installed on those machines.

Which type of SCSCI card should I buy. We can not spend more than 3500 US$ in both machines (actually each cost 1299 US$ + 150 US$ Memory + 150 UPS (with USB shutdown) + ORB drive for backups for each ).

I see that there are very cheap SCSI PCI card for 50 US$. Or it is better to have Ultra SCSCI 2? Our databases are about 140 MB big in total. Should we buy a drive SCSI 1 GB or bigger?

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

Nice Anatoli, but that wasn't the question! Go invoice Bill.

The topic name is "Which Hardware configuration is better for Filemaker Pro Server 5.0"

Logically and after WAST experience with FM since version 1 that seems to me the only logical choice.

Hey, is this FileMaker forum, or mutual admiration of Macs forum. I have tons of Macs around as a clients, but to put FM server on them is just waste of money.

Anatoli, loyal Apple user since 1982.

I wouldn't install SCSI drives or cards. They are not necessary for speed with the RAM disk in use. RAMBunctious is a shareware RAM disk program. RAM is approximately 1,000,000 times faster than disk. I would stick with the "box stock" drives that come with the G4's. G4's in the US$ 1300 to US 1600 range should work fine.

For file servers (not FileMaker servers), I like Adaptec 29160 or 29160N Ultra 160 SCSI cards and Quantum Atlas 10K II drives.

-bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited January 24, 2001).]

This topic is 8514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.