Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 5 server is good enough?

This topic is 8374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Two issues:

1) I don't believe FM is certified on Win 2000, yet.

2) Your major limitation won't be server with 17 users (not a lot for server). Your major problem will be the low speed connections at 56K. I don't think dial ups at 56K will give you satisfactory operation, even with minimum field and graphics on layouts. I would look into some way of running each FM session on a remote server and sending only screen updates and keyboard and mouse information over the phone lines - such as Citrix Server (www.citrix.com). It's between US$ 5,000 and US$ 10,000 for a setup, but if all you have is lowspeed connections, it is the way to go.

-bd

• 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by dspires:

Isn't terminal services an application similar in function to Apple's Network Admin or Timbuktu? If so, it allows one computer to be controlled by another (I believe single) computer. The mouse/keyboard inputs are sent from the remote computer and screen shots/updates on the controlled computer are mirrored on the remote computer. How would this type of solution be feasible for more than one individual connected at a time?

Terminal Services differs from Remote Control software in that it allows each user to have thier own complete session and acts as if they are controlling thier own computer. A single Terminal Server can serve as many users as its RAM will allow. 17 is well within the range of a single Terminal Server.

Isn't terminal services an application similar in function to Apple's Network Admin or Timbuktu? If so, it allows one computer to be controlled by another (I believe single) computer. The mouse/keyboard inputs are sent from the remote computer and screen shots/updates on the controlled computer are mirrored on the remote computer. How would this type of solution be feasible for more than one individual connected at a time?

This topic is 8374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.